IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

I've just opened a Sky email account and closed an aol email

I've just opened a Sky email account and closed an aol email account. How do I move new and stored email in aol to my new Sky email?
Category: Computer
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is***** tell me how you usually accessed your AOL e-mail account - was it via a desktop e-mail program such as AOL Desktop or Outlook, or you used a web browser and went to www.aol.com ? Let me know,IT Miro
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Miro, thanks for coming back to me. I usually used a web browser. The aol account is still open, by the way, but won't be after today.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
To transfer all e-mails from one e-mail account to another, you will need to use a desktop e-mail program. Microsoft Outlook is the easiest one for this task. Do you happen to have it installed? It usually comes with Microsoft Office suite.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have Microsoft Outlook but I guess you're telling me I need to install it? I assume there's no alternative and I need to pay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got Open Office installed
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
Other e-mail programs are fine as well. You don't need to buy Microsoft Office (Outlook). You can use a free one, such as Mozilla Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail. Do you happen to have any of them already installed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use Mozilla Firefox. Assuming I can use Mozilla Thunderbird, what's the actual process of moving inbox, sent mail, folders etc over. I'm surprised providers don't make this easier. Banks have been forced to.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, you can install Mozilla Thunderbird and then set up both e-mail accounts there. It will then allow you to transfer e-mails from one e-mail account to another. However, to be able to do that, you need to have access to both e-mail accounts.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
First, download Mozilla Thunderbird on this link: https://www.mozilla.org/en-GB/thunderbird/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, doing that now, thank you
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
When installed, you can add an e-mail account. Here are the instructions: 1. Start Mozilla Thunderbird2. If Welcome to Thunderbird screen shows, click the Skip this and use my existing email button. Then, Mail Account Setup window will open.If not, click File > New > Existing Mail Account... and there type your name, full e-mail address and e-mail password, then click Continue.In case you don't see File menu, press the Alt key to reveal hidden menu bar.3. After typing that information, Thunderbird will search for e-mail configuration and will offer you to use common server names configuration. At that point, click Done and the e-mails will start downloading Do the same for the other e-mail account. Let me know when you have done that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I think I have set up both email addresses now on Thunderbird and it's doing a download of a vast set of inbox folders. It could be some time but it looks to be well underway. Thanks very much, I think we're done.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
OK, let it download all e-mails. You can then leave those e-mails as they are since they will be fully accessible on your computer. In case you want to transfer e-mails from the AOL account to the Sky account (so that those e-mails can be accessed from any other computer or device you use to access the Sky account), you can use the "Copy To" option. Just select the e-mails you want to transfer, right-click them and select "Copy To" and then choose the destination folder on your Sky account. You can create a new folder that is named, for example, AOL e-mails.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 1 year ago.
If you require further assistance, let me know. Before you leave, please take a moment to rate my assistance by clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page.Thanks,IT Miro
IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional