Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I inherited a toshiba C660D-1HK from an uncle who died but

i inherited a toshiba C660D-1HK from an uncle who died but he left a startup password ***** it and i am unable to boot it .i dont know if it is a HDD password ***** it comes up before the bios screen
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your laptop bios power on password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have had this laptop for a month it is a satellite C660D-1hk when i power it on it asks for password what can i do ?
Bios power on passwords are meant for anti theft purpose however most of the times manufacturers only have the unlock hardware device. You will have to carry the laptop to a nearby Toshiba service center along with the original invoice and then they will remove the password ***** a patented hardware device.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i paid £28 for you to tell me that i need to go to toshiba ..unacceptable and i will be seeking a full refund because this didn't help at all
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i did say my uncle had died and i inherited the laptop from him the receipt could be anywhere because of the distribution of his assets
I understand you paid however i have given you the correct info and you have paid to get correct information, you may check with any computer expert you will get the same answer. I can suggest you a workaround however you may try if you are comfortable opening the laptop then i can suggest you some jumper settings steps to reset the password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i would be very grateful if you could please
you will have to unplug the ac adapter from the laptop remove the battery and flip the laptop upside down. look for all the bottom screws and remove then one by one. Remove the back cover and let me know once done.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have removed all screws to bottom ram dvd ETC ALL OUT BUT bottom cover wont come off easy
all the bottom screws removed securely?
once you have removed the RAM you will see a barcoded sticker peel it off then you will see jumpers underneath the sticker
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
all bottom screws removed im a competent laptop repairer and realise if its the bottom of the mainboard i need access to it can only be removed from the top by removing the keyboard then the top bezel
dont have to open everything
you will see 2 jumpers marked as JCMOS
take a piece of wire or a flat bed screw driver and short the two terminals for 10 seconds.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
they are not there that is from a different model ..i will take picture for you
check this video and let me know if this helpshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onIDGekaqlI
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
here is a picture of my ram slots no jcmos jumpers but there may be some thing similar
you are on the correct board those are the jumper, did you check the video link i gave and try to short the 2 jumpers and let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
even the copper rows of vertical contacts are on the left where as mine are on the right also the ram slots seem to be reversed i see no jcmos jumpers but there are 2 blobs of solder above the top 4th from the left vertical contact could this be the same thing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im going to attempt to short the 2 blobs of solder above the top 4th from the left vertical contact for ten seconds will this do the same thing though they are not marked jcmos
the jumper pin is marked 1 and 10 so you count 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 try to short then one by one.
Then try 1 - 10 and similar to the others
Try to short PJ29 as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is one called J1 top left near the ram slots do you suggest trying that one ... also do i need any power connected or to turn it on etc
no dont connect the power do the shorting without connecting power. Once all down connect the battery and power and to see if its gone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok just to be clear Michelle the 2 rows of 5 vertical contacts that are fairly large it looks like top left is 01 so do i short that one with all the others one at a time for 10 seconds that way im likely to get the right one ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i have done jp29 and j1 so far both for 10 seconds
top left is 01 marked with an arrow.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so which one do i short 01 across to ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i see i was looking at it upside down ..lol
short 1 with 10 and so on with others as well.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do you mean short each one above with the one directly below that makes 5 pairs ?
That is correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
done each pair for 10 seconds do you suggest i power it on now
yes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Damn shorted them all for 10 seconds but still says ENTER PASSWORD
Then i am very sorry to say that you will have to carry this laptop to the nearest service center to unlock it as it requires a Toshiba hardware connected to the laptop to erase the password ***** a kind of device connected to the com port of the laptop to erase the password.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I SHORTED JUMPERS 1&10 2&9 3&8 4&7 5&6 is it worth shorting 1 with all the other 9 one by one just in case i get lucky
yes you may give it a try but make sure the power and battery is out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok will do
sure
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks for your help im sure there is a way but i don't want to risk blowing it up ive been quoted £60 by toshiba to reset the password ***** its no good if i dont have the receipt of sale and i recommend a lot of hardware for education purposes and schools and after this i am inclined to never recommend toshiba for being the fastest laptop to become a brick lol anyway MICHELLE thanks for your help x
I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further.Thank you for using our service.