Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I have a Kobo aura e-reader. I tried to charge this today

I have a Kobo aura e-reader. I tried to charge this today and the screen has frozen with
the message "computer detected". It won't switch off and is not responding to any
commands.
Any assistance/advice that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.Press and hold down the power button on the Kobo for 35 seconds and release it.The Kobo will shut down wait for 2 mins and then power it back on. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, it is not responding - still frozen
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
did the reader shutdown or not even that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it hasn't responded at all. It looks as if this problem cannot be resolved on-line so I will have to wait until after Christmas to call into a branch of W H Smith to see what they suggest. If I need to contact you again I will do so within the 7 day period unless you can think of anything else that might work but it seems as if this is very unlikely.Regards ***** ***** Christmas
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
If your screen is frozen, slide the power button to the right and hold it for 10 seconds. Your eReader should turn off.Locate the small hole on the bottom of your eReader. Unfold a paperclip and slide an end into the hole.Press gently until you feel a click. Your eReader should restart.let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I still cannot switch the unit off - it is just not responding
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
how old is the reader
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
when you pressed the paper clip in the small hole at the bottom of reader did the screen change
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The reader is 18 months old and I cannot switch the device off
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok it seems i has locked upin such a case, we can try a factory rest but if that too fails the reader will need to be servicedin either case data will get erased so you will have to download the books again from kobo cloud or from any backups if you have made else will be erasedInsert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently. You'll feel a click and your eReader will reset itself.When you see square icons on the screen, insert a paper clip into the small hole beside the Micro USB slot and push gently. Repeat the above step two more times. Your eReader's screen will turn black, and show a Critical error message. Don't worry, this is normal.Tap the check mark icon at the bottom of the screen to reset your eReader.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
if the above steps do not make any change the ereader would need to be serviced and you can contact kobo authorised service center to get it repaired
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i hope you understand that in case of hardware faults i can suggest reset steps but cannot make a bad part that needs service work againI hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question furtherMerry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am writing to give you some good news. When I arrived home as a last resort I re-connected the charger and my e-reader responded. For a moment the screen lit up, went completely blank and then re-booted. Again I asked it to connect and charge the battery and it did so. My e-reader is now fully charged and operational. I don't know if by attempting to switch it off and failing had anything to do with this or whether you managed to partly free it on line but however it decided to come back to life the good news is that it is responding to my commands so I should be able to read tonight. Thank you for your help and hopefully I will not need to contact you again.Merry Christmas
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for letting me know If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. Please don't rate negatively Instead reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question furtherMerry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!