Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I have a new HP280 G1 MT desktop, which came with an upgrade

Customer Question

I have a new HP280 G1 MT desktop, which came with an upgrade disk for Windows 10. I have just upgraded to Windows 10 on the understanding that I could revert to Windows 7. Windows 10 has installed, but I have lost access to all my apps and data files. When I try to carry out the recovery, I find that reinstallation of Windows 7 is not on the menu. Am at a total loss.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist. Please open This PC and then open your C: drive.Are you able to locate a folder called Windows.old ?This is where your data files will be located if the folder is there.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've located the windows old files. I should tell you that this computer is not the one with the problem. It' a separate desktop
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What's next?
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
On the machine you upgraded from Windows 7 to 10, can you locate the Windows.old folder?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Yes, I've done that
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
are your data files there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the folders there are: PerfLogs - Program Files - Program Files (x86) - ProgramData - Users - Windows. I'm not too bothered about data as I had already backed them onto an external drive - it's the apps I'm concerned about
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
In Windows 10 there is a Notifications icon immediately to the left of the clock. Open that up and see if it tells youwhat, if any, apps were removed during the upgrade.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No new notifications
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
I don't know what method you used to try to roll back to 7 but this is how I do it. Click the start menu button and open Settings.Click Update & Security. From the menu on the left click Recovery.On the page that open, under Go back to Windows 7, click Get Started.This won't work if it's been over 30 days since the upgrade.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried that. It's not on the menu. I upgraded from the disk that came with the computer today, although Ive had the computer for about 3 weeks
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It IS on the menu for this machine strangely enough, as it's over a month since upgrading
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
That's fine. Are you saying you used the upgrade disk that came with your new computer to upgrade another machine?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No. I used the one that came with the m/c with the problem
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
There are two HP computers - this one I'm using which I upgraded from the Internet with no problem and which still has the recovery to previous Windows on its menu, and the problem desktop which came with an upgrade disk that hasn't got the recovery on its menu.
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
Thanks for helping me better understand. How is that disk titled? A basic upgrade should have offered the option to keep apps and files.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's an HP disk called "Operating System DVD Windows 10 Pro" and says "for use with a licensed HP or Compaq PC" "Support for these products provided by HP"
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It also says " All media is provided for recovery purposes"
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
That's the problem. It's not an upgrade disk. It's the OEM full install version and that explains why there's no optionto roll back to Windows 7.I hate to be the bearer of bad news and please don't shoot the messenger but the disk did a full install and itwon't save any apps.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why does it talk of recovery purposes? I'm sure that the pop up messages I was getting asking me to upgrade said it was possible to go back to Windows 7! Not your fault, I know, but not mine either. How are you tied up with HP? Can you recover your costs from them, as I assume I shouldn't be charged for your time for HP's error?
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
The recovery purpose means it's to be used in a situation where the operating system has failed totally and has to be replaced.I don't work for HP. I'm an independent contractor working for JustAnswer.comYou can get a refund by sending an email to***@******.*** the link to this question along with an explanation and they'll take care of it.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK - thanks for trying
Expert:  Byron replied 11 months ago.
Have a happy holiday.