hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
40928634

Computer won't talk to my e-Trex 10 through Port Com 4 where

Computer won't talk to my e-Trex 10 through Port Com 4 where it has always been, I've recently changed From Windows 7 to 10. I've tried all my other ports with the same result
.
I keep getting Error 2.
Category: Computer
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello there,
Please note, I am just a moderator for this category, I can only try and find experts to help, I can't answer the question itself.
Adam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On holiday until 4/01 so OK until then.
Expert:  adamd-mod replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for getting back to me.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Adam
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.
Hello there is there a message after "Error 2" please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No message Computer knows it is talking to a Garmin sat nav --- "unknown Garmin" probably through coms 1 but I can't download or upload from it.On holiday at the moment so will e-mail you next week when in front of my computer.
Thank you are you using an actual com port or a USB to serial adapter please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Using a serial adapter on the Garmin to a USB hub attached to the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the cable I have always used.
Hello there I assume you upgraded from W7 to W10. What we need to do is reinstall the drivers to that the USB adapter can work with Windows 10​What is the model of your Garmin please so I can see if drivers are available.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK , can I get in touch by e-mail when I get back week commencing 4/01/16.
. Happy new year.
Happy New Year & talk next week
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello once again Adam. Since I last spoke to you I've been in touch with Garmin and tried to re download ny driver for the E 10.
The driver downloaded ok. I will forward all the instructions given if you like.
The first instruction I have copied:- Your computer should recognise your Garmin GPS connected, it will appear under the device manager. We will need to check to see if it is shown here. Follow the steps below to complete this:Click the Windows Start Icon.
Click Control Panel.
Click Hardware and Sound.
Click Device Manager.
The device should be shown here, it may have a small question mark alongside it. If you do see a drive with a small question mark then this would indicate an issue with the drivers. We will need to remove them following the steps below:
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I have done this the computer DOES NOT recognise anything at all. When I go to the prolific USB - Serial port com 9 properties I get the phrase "a device which does not exist was specified. the device cannot start (code 10).
The computer ker-plunks when I disconnect the USB-Serial cable. I now suspect it is the cable which may be faulty, on inspection one of the 4 little copper contacts is very loose. What do you think?
If this is the case a new cable is required and I will purchase one. I will let you know how I have gone on.
In the meantime thanks very much for your efforts (so far ).
Tony.
Hello there and Happy New YearYes most certainly if Windows can't talk to the USB adapter because of a bad or damaged contact then this would explain things. Please try this adapter in another computer if you can as this would also verify the integrity of the connection to the adapter.
hongkongpom, Computer Enthusiast
Experience: I am a Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technican and skilled in the troubleshooting of computer problems
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Adam, Sorry I have been so long in replying. As I said I've been in touch with a lady at Garmin called Aimee.
On trying all sorts I eventually got :- . The info you sent me is the same as Antonia sent me a couple of weeks ago. ‘'I’ve tried again with no luck. However I bought a new cable and a mini disc came with it so I tried to load the driver from this in my D drive and got EXACTLY the same failure box up.
It says”The folder you specified does not contain compatible software drivers for your device. If the folder contains a driver make sure it is designed to work with Windows for X64 based systems.”
I never get to see the GRMNUSB file.I had kept seeing the file but it always said X32 based system.
Soo! on contacting Garmin once more I got an e-mail back saying my e-10 had been superseded and the software was no longer available QED.
I still don't understand why my computer didn't remember the old driver. Anyway I still have an old computer running XP albeit not on line, this has a cable affixed to another type of comms port ( RS232 ?) and it works brilliantly with it. It just means any info I put onto the e10 or download from it needs transferring over to my W10 computer via a memory stick.
We live and learn. Many thanks for trying to help. PS. Do you want a Garmin USB cable cheap. Just kidding.
Tonu