Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

The Factory Reset on my kindle paperwhite just doesn't work I

Customer Question

The Factory Reset on my kindle paperwhite just doesn't work
I am not registered on the cloud, and have tried the reset device options and resetting the pass code and using the###-##-####option. I have also tried deleting the files in the kindles document folder and even formatting the drive from my PC.
In every case when I start my Kindle all the books have miraculously returned, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I've now spent hours on this and am getting very frustrated, any assistance would be appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting youlet me know how did you perform the factory reset
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Initially just going into settings and then reset device in the dropdown menu. Then putting in a passcode and then using###-##-#### ***** the Kindle restarted
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
in fact I can't delete or add books to the device either - I'm using Calibre
When you try to delete or add ebooks what is the error you get?
Touch and hold on book title on home page until list appears - touch delete and then ok let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't get an error it appears to work on Calibre or when I copy the file from my PC, but when the device opens the eBooks aren't there
Login to your Amazon account and deleted them from your account, then they will disappear from your devices the next time you sync them they will be permanently gone. You can also just delete them from the device, and they will still be on your account and will reappear.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Even from the kindle hompage there is no error message but the book is still there. When to try to read it, the item is unavailable, but when I reset the device it reappears
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have a amazon account, I never registered
can you connect the kindle to your pc so that i can remote access and check the files stored attributes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes no problem
click here to run remote assistance
How Remote Desktop WorksAgree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Customer Hi this is Michellemichelleclive: i am conenctted nowGuest: Good it seemed to take quitea whilemichelleclive: give me 2 mins to continue with this session.Guest: kmichelleclive: Please connect the kindle to this computer and let me take over the mouse controlGuest: okmichelleclive: let me know once connectedGuest: donemichelleclive: okmichelleclive: let me know the ebooks on the list you want to deleteGuest: I'd like to clear the complete kindlemichelleclive: okmichelleclive: are you sure you want me to remove all the ebooksGuest: yes -- I've still got a back-up and the complete library on Calibremichelleclive: alright here we go.michelleclive: sir you there?michelleclive: its removed parmanentlymichelleclive: 2.34 gb space createdmichelleclive: yes please go aheadGuest: Let me disconnect the kindle and the reconnecet and see what happens - I've donme this beforeGuest: Just waiting for the kindle to restartGuest: you can see there is only 1.07GB free nowmichelleclive: yes i see thatmichelleclive: give me few mins i am working on my sideGuest: OK take over whenevermichelleclive: have you saved a copy of all the deteled files on this computerGuest: I have a backup and they are still in the calibre libraryGuest: I've also tried formating the kindle drive with no successmichelleclive: can you save the files on an external usb drive and then remove the beackup from the library.Guest: my backup is on an external drive already and not connested to the PCmichelleclive: highlight all the folder you want to delete from the library and press and hold down shift key and hit delete key will parmanetlty delet that.michelleclive: unplus the kindle wait for 30 secs and reconnect it backmichelleclive: unplgu and replug done?michelleclive: have you tried to format the driveGuest: yesGuest: Didn't workmichelleclive: i am unable to locate the file saved location of the backup, i hope its not connected physicallyGuest: no its notmichelleclive: is there any cloud service enabledGuest: nomichelleclive: okGuest: formatting was complete so I've disconnected the device and am retsrating itmichelleclive: dont conenct the kindle nowGuest: ooops sorryGuest: reconnectedmichelleclive: can you connect the kindle to another usb port.Guest: yes okmichelleclive: do you have another computer where we can format the kindle drivemichelleclive: unplug the kindle and check on the kindle do you still see the files in there or removed?Guest: Still there but it says item not available, its only when I restart the device that the content comes backmichelleclive: Please dont plug the kindle back, i will let you know when you need to connectmichelleclive: please unplugGuest: okmichelleclive: thanksGuest: The Books have now disappeared from the kindle again - I havn;t restarted yetmichelleclive: Tap Menu→Settings.Tap Menu→Reset Device.When you see the warning, tap Yes.Guest: OKmichelleclive: let me know once doneGuest: done its now restartingmichelleclive: check if you still see the data on it but do not connect it to the computerGuest: OK still waiting for it to restartGuest: All the books are now back!Guest: including all the etxtmichelleclive: after the reset?Guest: yes#michelleclive: do you have the files saved on the sc card ?michelleclive: sd card i meanmichelleclive: problem has been identifiedGuest: its on a sd card downstairsmichelleclive: downstairs?michelleclive: i didnt get thatmichelleclive: sd card must be on the kindle correct>Guest: it was orginally on my PC but my daughter i using my iTunes backupmichelleclive: is there any sd card on the kindle now?Guest: nomichelleclive: ok got itmichelleclive: connect the kindle back to the computerGuest: donemichelleclive: unplug the kindlemichelleclive: check if the files are still thereGuest: Sames as last time they are still there but no contentGuest: however they are slowly dissappearingmichelleclive: let it disappear and once done let me knowGuest: okmichelleclive: do not reset the kindleGuest: okGuest: all clear nowmichelleclive: now push and hold down the kindle for 40 seconds and release the key. Please make sure 40 secondsGuest: okGuest: done now restartingmichelleclive: okmichelleclive: dont connect it to the computermichelleclive: let me know if its still thereGuest: they're back :-(michelleclive: connect it back to the computer nowGuest: donemichelleclive: i see the problem is basically with the kindle end. Is it fine if we can continue this tomorrow i will have to work on this with a paperwhite unit and will come up with a solution, or i can open the question to other experts for there input.Guest: Thats Ok with me - I was really struggling with this and part of me is pleased that you were to LoLmichelleclive: so you prefer to wait till tomorrow i will keep you posted.Guest: Thanks thats finemichelleclive: okGuest: byemichelleclive: i will end the session now