Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Start menu is not responding, appearing , working . Windows

Customer Question

start menu is not responding, appearing , working .
Windows 10 are not available .
Help ! !
???????????????????????
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** i will be assisting youLet me know if you have windows xp or windows 10also let me know a bit more about the issue you are facing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Michelle ! I allowed Microsoft to up-grade my lap-top to Window 10 about May 2015 .
It was around august that it stopped working .
I think the lap-top was on windows 7 when new , but , it might have been / probably was up graded before the w 10 .
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
ok so right now on windows 10 the start menu is not working..is that correct
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That's correct .
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
is your data backed up on external storage
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no . but not important .
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
we can attempt a refresh of the settings along with various steps so just wanted to know if data was critical or notare we chatting on the same computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Reimage always said the problems they identified were Stability .
Yes we are chatting on the same computer .
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
ok before i share the steps would like you to know that anytime this chat closes you can reopen the chat from just answer email by clicking on view response\answer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Right click Start buttonChoose Command prompt (Admin)Key in Powershell in the black window and hit EnterPaste the following command in the Administrator: Windows PowerShell window and press Enter key:Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
Wait for PowerShell to execute and complete the command. Ignore the few errors (in red color) that may pop up.When it finishes let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2nd attempt I got the PowerShell to do something . , leaving me with lots of red writing !
However , the Start Menu still doesn't respond and there are still various gaps on the task bar at the bottom .
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
ok seems that we would need to refresh the pcpress the windows key and I key togetherin the settings window click on recoveryclick on refresh pc optionif refresh is not available, click on reset pc option with(keep my files) selectedfollow onscreen prompts to reset the pc..this will rollback to the windows 10 original image
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
once complete you may test the start menu and let me know
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Pressing the Windows key and I key together and nothing happens .
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
open control panel...then in search box on top right type recovery and click on recovery option
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now I've got Advanced Recovery Tools - a choice of 3
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
what options you have
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
- create a recovery drive
- open system restore
- configure system restore
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
at the bottom do you see " if you are having problems with your pc go to settings and try resetting it"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes I saw that
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
click on it and then let me know what options you get in next window
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
need to select referesh pc `option but if thats not available select reset pc (keep my files) option
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry ! Computer went off line and I couldn't get back on at the time - in my location at the moment the Wi-Fi is a bit erratic !
the options are ; - View advanced system settings
- Allow remote access to your computer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The advanced system settings leads me to " view basic information about your computer ."
The first information is that the windows edition is Windows 10 .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I suspect that most sensible people are in bed at this time of night , including the experts ! !
I will follow your example , go to bed and try to contact you tomorrow / later today . Night !
Expert:  Michelle replied 2 years ago.
let me know whenever you are ready to continue