Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

My son has built his own desktop.but cant install operating

Hi,my son has built his own desktop.but cant install operating system.Motherboard is gigabyte ga-f2a68hm-hd2. with seagate st1000dm003. Bought Windows 10 but realised motherboard is 8.1. so he downloaded 8.1 trial to memory stick to install first but cant. He gets to Where do you want to install Windows,but it says at the bottom that Windows cant be installed on this drive. and then This computers hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure disk controller is enabled in th bios.He has tried many things including trying to create partition in command prompt but it wont do it. Error codes include ox80300003 oxb6583560.Is it jsut something simple to change in bios or something else.Regard Rich
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. The motherboard in this case has no bearing on the operating system. Can you answer a couple of questions for me please? You say he downloaded Windows 8.1. Where did he download that from? What version of Windows 10 are you trying to install and was it purchased from an authorized Microsoft retailer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8.1 downloaded from microsoft.com windows 10 home version from amazon
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. First, you should be able to bypass Windows 8 provided the Windows 10 version is a complete install and not an upgrade? Access the BIOS and make sure the CD/DVD drive is listed as your first boot device, provided your Windows 10 is on a DVD to start with? Once you have the boot order for the drives correctly configured, you can start your computer with the Windows 10 disc in the drive and the computer should boot from that. Let me know if you get to that point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok.The windows 10 is a complete install on a usb stick. In the bios the boot option priorities are #1 UEFI: KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP #2 KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP . Ok got to Where do you want to install Windows? Drive 0 unallocated space 931.5 gb. Clicked next . Waited for quite a while and then it said. We couldnt install Windows in the location you chose. Please check your media drive .Heres more info about what happened: Ox80300002. .What shall i do next?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
There should be a boot order list where you can choose USB as your first option. Can you find that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i can see that boot option #1 is uefi :KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP which is the usb I assume.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Also, go to this LINK and follow the instructions to download and install the latest chipset update.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
You are correct. That is boot option 1.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We downloaded chipset to usb stick earlier but it didnt recognise it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Part of the problem is the hard drive needs to be partitioned and formatted, but the install should take care of that. Is there by chance an option to perform either if these functions when you boot from the USB drive?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it said no signed device drivers were found .Make sure that the installation media contains the corrct drivers then click ok.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Go into the BIOS and check the hard drive type and let me know how it is identified please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the Where do you want to install Windows? at the bottom there is format but it is greyed out. In bios On Chip SATA Type AHCI
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Change AHCI to IDE
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok changed to ide .Got to Where do you want to install Windows. Error message Couldnt install windows in th location .Check media drive . ox80300002. If i go back and click new it says size 953869 mb Apply Cancel If i apply it comes back with To ensure allWindows features work correctly Windows might create additional partitions for system files. i click ok and after a while comes back with Couldnt create a new partition oxb5612850. Tried it again. came back with oxb56124eo .
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any other drives or SD cards plugged in or inserted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Are you plugging the USB drive into the blue USB port on the back?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Go back into your BIOS and look for something called legacy booting. Whatever it is set to, change it and try the install again. If that doesn't work, try changing to boot order to load the hard drive first then try again and let me know.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I will be off line for a bit but will respond as soon as I can.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok .tried changing legacy to other options in storage boot option and also boot mode selection and hard drive first but still cant install.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Did you try the #2 KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP option after you made the BIOS changes?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
If you did and that didn't work, then go to this LINK and download this utility. You will need to burn it to a CD so that your computer can boot from it. From that you can partition and format the hard drive which should then allow you to install Windows.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dont seem to have #2 KDI-MSFTWindows 10 PMAP now. dont know why. trying all sorts of permutations .There is no optical drive in this pc yet. Will a usb stick do?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think this is a hard drive fault?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Making a USB boot drive is a little more complicated and I don't believe you need anymore of that? ;-) I presume the drive was new?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the drive was new but the packet was slightly ripped when we got it. do the error codes lead to the hard drive?how can we prove it?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I have built many computers and installing Windows on a new drive with a new motherboard can be difficult enough. Now we are throwing Windows 10 into the mix and that has been problematic from the start. Do you happen to have a Windows 7 install disc? That might make it easier? Even if you don't and can borrow one from someone just to prepare the drive. As long as your Windows 10 has its own activation key that will make it legal.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Another thing you might want to do just to be safe; copy the contents of the flash drive you bought from Microsoft. You never can tell when something might go wrong??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks,i will do that.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I will stay with you as long as you like so don't think I am abandoning you. How about the Windows 7?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't think I got 7 anywhere. There is a man I know who repairs PCs. I have heard of someone removing hard drive and preparing it in another machine. Could it be Windows 10 is temperamental at trying to create partition?may be hd is ok.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Well actually that is kind of the idea behind the Windows 7 install and the link I sent for the utility. Either way they can prepare the drive to accept the operating system. I don't think there is a problem with the drive as long as it wasn't dropped or banged around. You might want to go into the BIOS and find the entry to change the settings to default just in case something was accidentally set wrong.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I just wanted to check in to see how you were getting along. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. We bought a hard drive enclosure to check and we still couldn't partition. Bought another hard drive from Currys and it worked in the pc first time, no trouble. Sent back faulty hard drive to supplier. I can only think it must have been damaged in transit. Buying sensitive electronics through the post could be something to avoid. Thanks for your help. We are sorted.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
So glad to hear you got things going. That drive must have really gotten bounced around. Since I too also enjoy building my own computers, you and your son should check out the solid state drives, (SSD) They have no moving parts and are much faster than the conventional drives. You won't believe how fast your computer will boot up. The prices are higher, but coming down and well worth the cost in my opinion. Have a good time, and I am glad I was able to help!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I hope I was able to provide you with the assistance you needed. When it is convenient, please remember to rate my service for you.
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience: 25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.