Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

A number of keys on my laptop keyboard have stoped working,

Customer Question

A number of keys on my laptop keyboard have stoped working, I believe after the computer received an update then "Hung" instead of restarting. The keys that I know are faulty are G H @ and 8.
I am having to use a plug in keyboard to type this message.
Have you any ideas?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.What is the make and model of the computer.how old is the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
What is the make and model of the computer?how old is the computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a HP Pavilion 15 Notebook which I bought new in December 2013
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
still running windows 8.1 or its has been upgraded to windows 10?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Did the problem started after the windows update?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still on Windows 8.1 (I think updated to *.4)
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
try removing the existing windows keyboard driver from the device manager and then reboot the computer after restart windows will download and install the keyboard driver automatically then you can use the printer without a problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. Te computer did not restart and after approx 20 minutes I turned it off and back on again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't got a problem with the printer. I have tried uninstalling the driver but the problem persists
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
printer was typed mistakenly.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's a relief
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
did you follow the keyboard driver software removal steps from the device manager.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe so. My concern is if I try again, I will need to reboot, then I might lose this contact
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
reboot is a must after following the steps however you can get connected to me by opening justanswer email from your inbox and click on view my answer button this chat will reconnect.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Just to ensure I do it right, please guide me through the steps you suggest
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
press windows key and letter S key together you will get a search box type in device manager open it and you will see keyboards icon click on it to expand and then remove the installed driver once removed reboot the computer.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
There is an optional Remote Connect Service - Quick ResolutionRemote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee (£16). It is 100% safe which will allow me directly work on the problem and can be fixed quickly, you can sit back and watch your screen while i fix it for you. Let me know if you need the additional service or else we can continue with the service you have already opted for.let me know if you want to opt for remote assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes please take remote access
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Click here remote access
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
How Remote Desktop WorksAgree to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer below.The Remote Desktop client file will automatically download to your computer.Open the Remote Desktop client file on your computer and you will be connected to a session with your Expert.After agreeing to the Remote Desktop Legal Disclaimer, you can always download the client again if need be.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hopefully you now ave access
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
yes connected now let me take the mouse control.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle are you still there?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
yes i am waiting for your reply
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
run the elsinore program and try to reconnect the remote screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok done
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
connected back.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Customer did the computer restart?michelleclive: Please check the keyboardmichelleclive: what all keys are notworkingmichelleclive: can you press hard a bit on the keys which is not working and see if it types or notmichelleclive: use this chat session to commmunicate.Guest: I've had to plug in the usb keybpoard again.There is no change to the keys which didn't work previouslymichelleclive: can you type in and check now on the dos screenGuest: G & H not working.michelleclive: its not working on the dos screen as well correct?Guest: Correctmichelleclive: i have finally come to a conclusion after running few steps and tests.michelleclive: The problem is basically with the physical keyboard on the laptop is bad its quite common on Dell computers however on Hp laptop this is very rare.michelleclive: this happend due to exesessive moist environment or there is a splillage on the keyboard.michelleclive: you would need to replace the keyboard as its identified bad. you would need a new keyboard to get the problem solved.michelleclive: you can order one online and i can get this installed once you receive the new keyboard.michelleclive: let me know if you have any question.Guest: Definately no moisture or spillage problem Computer didn't start after update. I know the warranty has expiremichelleclive: we still have one option leftmichelleclive: before we try that you will have to backup all you important data on an external drive so that we can try a factory reset which will erase everything and will bring the computer back to the first day you got.michelleclive: If the keyboard still doesnt work then its a hardware problem with the keyboard and it will need a replacement.michelleclive: let me know when you would like to perform the factory reset steps i can continue when you backup your data.Guest: Hi Michelle, I appreciate everything you have done and tried to do. I tend to agree thatit is a keyboard problem. As I am away from home for a few more days, I do not have the facilities to back up and save my files. I think it is time to say bye bye to this computer and invest in a replacementmichelleclive: how old is the lapop?Guest: December 2013michelleclive: ist is worth replacing the keyboard the computer is not that old.Guest: I will consider a new keyboard first thenmichelleclive: give me sometime i will look for the keyboard available online.Guest: Hi Michelle, Please don't continue further with this. I will wait until I get home in the New Yearmichelleclive: not a problem. You can reply me when you are back from your justanswer email.michelleclive: Happy new year.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle, my computer is in a worse state than it was before. Microsoft Office was deleted when you reset the computer and although I have now re-installed it I appear to have lost all of my folders and emails. Please help
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know when you will be online today i will take a look with its running so slow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle, what time zone are you on? I am back on line and have Microsoft Outlook working again except that my personal folders with their emails cannot be found. Can you help?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to say but i asked you to backup data before we performed the windows reset steps data means your pictures, files folder emails and favorites etc.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
let me know when you are online i will try to search for the email folder you are looking for using remote access.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michelle, I am back on line.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
give me a minute i will give you a remote link.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Click here for remote assistance
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michelle, I agree to the Remote Access
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
close it and rerun the remote tool
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Michelle. That looks right
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
ok
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Customer i am woring on my side give me some timeGuest: No problemsmichelleclive: which is youremail..talk talk or gmailGuest: Would you believe I have three!!! Tiscali, Talktalk and Gmail. Tiscali is the main (default) account.michelleclive: ok..since you did not backup i am not sure which psts we will be bale to import backmichelleclive: let me however try one at a timeGuest: When I tried to open the folders they were in Admin/app data/local/microsoft/outlook/outlook pst (if that helps)michelleclive: that is where the problem is admin folder is the new onemichelleclive: the old one is administartormichelleclive: i am just trying to ensure we have the correct filesmichelleclive: ok i just imported one pst of gmail that you had created a pst file of on 20 augustmichelleclive: now i will open the folder and show you the files so taht we can decide on which post files you need in outlookmichelleclive: pst filesmichelleclive: i see there is a pst of outlook on 28 dec that was craetedmichelleclive: i think that should be the latset one else you craeted any on your ownmichelleclive: let me knowmichelleclive: i will proceed accordinglyGuest: Outlook Old and Outlook Toshiba were from previous computers. We are still looking for a large group of folders with sub folders in them.michelleclive: ok..i got itmichelleclive: now before i begin the import...confirm do you need the outlook old and outlook toshiba from old computers in thsi outlookmichelleclive: if not i will onky import the latest pst we gotGuest: No, those two can stay where they are. Thank youmichelleclive: ok let me beginmichelleclive: how does it lookGuest: That's looking good, thank you sooooooo muchmichelleclive: you are welcomemichelleclive: feel free to post me a message if you have any questions in futuremichelleclive: i will now exit the sessionGuest: Thanks again, Michelle. Your help has been extremeley well receivedmichelleclive: You are welcome...would like to wish you a very happy new yearmichelleclive: nefore i exit one thing i would like you to domichelleclive: i will open the just answer page..you may leave a feedback for my service on the pagemichelleclive: let me open it for youmichelleclive: one more thingmichelleclive: this outlook issue was an additional issue but i have not charged extra for itmichelleclive: let me open the review boxmichelleclive: you may leave your feedback if you likemichelleclive: i will now exitmichelleclive: bye!!!