Sudipto
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance
15197395

My pc lights up and the fans start but no power goes to the

my pc lights up and the fans start but no power goes to the peripherals. except one time a message came up which referred to an ssd i had installed i couldn't read much of it as it only appeared for a few seconds and the pc was turned off. i have windows 10.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me, what do you see at present on the screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nothing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i've restarted it an it wants the password ***** the bios
ill enter that now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i got a message headed 'American Megatrends'
i did not have time to read it all
At the bottom it said system will shut down in 15 seconds
And thats what happened
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have i got to start a free trial to get more info?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the late reply, when the screen become blank, does the PC completly shuts down or do you still see the lights on it ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the pc shuts down completely
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me, if you see anything like "Checksum Bad" on the screen, before the system shutsdown completely ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there was nothing about a checksum. there was about 12 lines of info. it said something about my ssd ( a samsung evo 850 250 GB) i cant replicate this . i've tried to start it twice - the lights come on but nothing else happens.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is American Megatrends
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i just googled it on my mac they are a bios vender
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the information, the problem you are facing is caused due to defective hardware of the computer, to be specific the problem is with the USB controller of the mother board, as it is also associted with the SSD, now can disconnect the SSD and let me know, what happens ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i'll do that now. yea - it did mention USB
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i disconnected the ssd from the leads and restarted but nothing comes up on the screen
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean, the screen is completely blank, when you turn on the PC ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
OK, then remove the power cord for few secs. and then reconnect it and power on the PC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
done that. screen still blank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all connections seem ok
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Do you see those message on the screen ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no - no messages
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
OK, do you see any light on the PC or does the fan starts, when you press the power switch ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was like this earlier on. sometimes you could get into the bios other times you couldn.t.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
OK, now reconnect the SSD and let me know, what happens ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes the pc does light up and the fan runs.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for providing all the information and helping to understand the problem, but unfortunately I do not have any good news for you, because the problem you are facing is caused due to defective controller on the mother board and there is no other way to overcome this problem, without repairing or replacing the mother board. Please let me know, if you need any further help otherwise please remember to give positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same problem when i connect the sad
Expert:  Sudipto replied 1 year ago.
Sudipto, Hardware Engineer
Experience: Certificate Course In Computer Maintenance