Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a fairly basic Levono dessktop computer, 3 years old

I have a fairly basic Levono dessktop computer, 3 years old running Windows 10.
I have setup dual monitors using an HDMI adaptor cable to plugin the second monitor using a standard VGA cable. What happens is that the monitor connected to this HDMI port sometimes goes blank, sometimes for a couple of seconds, sometimes indefinately, even though the computer still thinks it is displaying on that monitor, which means I cannot access the open files / pages on that monitor. The adaptor cable is OK as works fine if only one monitor connected to it.
Tony
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
The adapter cable may be getting overloaded Tony, which is why it can handle one monitor but not two.
Whats the make and model of the adapter?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The adaptor cable only connects one monitor with the other being plugged into the standard VGA port. No iodea of the make of adaptor cable as no marks on it.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, as it likely points to a fault with the adapter cable Tony, how exactly do you know its not at fault as you indicated its ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I just plugin one monitor using the adaptor cable into the HDMI port, there is no problem and the monitor works fine, never going blank.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
but when you plug the other one into the VGA port, thats when it has the issue correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
has it always happened? Or only recently started?
And if recently, since when?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started as soon as I setup the dual monitors about 2 weeks ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, do you have a HDMI TV there? Can you connect that instead of the adapter and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a portable TV with an HDMI port but I do not have an HDMI-HDMI lead to connect.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it would be good to rule out the adapter, but we will then need to do the following.
Press the windows key + X and click on Command Prompt (Admin)
A black window will open.
Type in it
sfc /scannow
press enter and when it has completed, type in
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.
chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.
Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.
Then tell me if you still have the issue please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. OK. Up to 5% complete so far. AM going to have my tea now so will check back in about 20 minutes to see what is happening. Tony
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
69% so far!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks Tony, can take some time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. I am about to restart my computer. How do I get back in contact with you to to say whether this has been successful or not? Interestingly, I have plugged in the second monitor again for now, it went blank for a few seconds and again just now. Tony
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
remember to to the SECOND part off the instructions so it runs the scan when it restarts.
Then you return to this webpage and tell me the results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be pedantic but I don't want to 'lose you'! If I just go back onto the web, will I be able to access this exact page again frmo where we left off?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Its ok, you just return to this page here, and post a message like you are doing now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. I have restarted my computer but nothing else happened regarding any checking and it restarted normally. the original scan did not reveal any errors. I have both monitors working at present but it will be difficult to know if I get any further blank screens as it has been a bit random with at times, both screens working fine for an hour or so before going blank again, or I have finished my work. Tony
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Tony, you forgot to do the second part of the instructions, this is what I was indicating before...
I will repeat the second part you missed.
A black window will open.
Type in it
chkdsk /r
Press enter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. I did not miss this out. I typed in cskdsk/r as advised and got tyhe same message you mentioned, and then said Y and return. I then saw the command prompt for c:\windows\system32> prompt and restarted my computer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
it would have run the scan Tony when you restarted, I also see you missed out on the space before the /
Can you redo this and restart please as it will run a scan when the computer is restarted.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - did not see the space!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scanning and 'rep[airing taking place, 12% so far and been there some time now! But will wait patiently and keep you up to date. Time for tea and cake!!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tony!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Seems to still be stick on 12% although the computer is clearly whirring rapidly. Is this a problem? I was not aware of any problems with the hard disc / corruption before.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, just needs time to complete, it can take a few hours at times and if its taking this ling it means its busy correcting corruption.
I will be offline soon, and back tomorrow, but let it complete Tony, it will, even if it takes a few hours to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. This completed and I setup the dual monitors again last night. It appeared to be OK, with occasional switching off of the HDMI monitor completely for a couple of seconds (with the pages appearing on the VGA connected screen and then all transferring to the HDMI screen even though before there were different pages on both screens). However, this morning, same problem as before with the HDMI screen going blank and not being able to see the pages that should be there. Tony
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, its either the computer is not able to support running both or the adapter cable, the nexct step is you will need to text on the portable TV using a direct HDMI connection Tony and see if you still get the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With both a VGA and an HDMI port for monitors would it not be expected to be able to support 2 monitors? If not, is there not an adaptor to plug into the VGA port that then can have 2 VGA monitors connected to it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, just Connecting 1 monitor through the HDMI adaptor cable is not a problem and works fine, so I don't see how it can be the adaptor cable.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, as for the older computers it was for using a VGA monitor OR a HDMI monitor. there is no special setting for this, so the fact that we have repaired as much corruption as we can barring a reinstall of windows, which would be the next step if the TV also fails, it would be this as the cause.
If you use a VGA splitter, then you are only displaying the same picture to two monitors which I do not believe you want to do.
What you want is a USB converter. As the power to the USB port is separate then the video adapter (which the VGA and HDMI are using) then this will work without issues as its a different method of sending the video out, and is separate to the video card.
Such an adapter you can get here
http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Multi-Monitor-External-Adapter/dp/B002FJQXXC
I still feel its the adapter though as HDMI to VGA is temperamental, and requires a fair bit of converting and power which can be causing this issue and we would know once we did the TV test. As we discussed yesterday, when your running both monitors your putting extra load on the video card in this computer, but this adapter for USB would also bypass the issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The USB adaptor you highlight does not mention compatibility with Windows 10; would it be OK still? This certainly appears to probably be the best solution as it bypasses the video card and the adaptor cable. I guess PC World have the USB adaptor as well....?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Yes, windows 10 is no problem, for your information, anything that works with windows 8 works with windows 10.
I am not sure if PC world has the adapter as I never shop there, always use Amazon, I checked here but could not see any
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/computer-accessories/power-and-cables-8665-m.html
But you could call them on 0344(###) ###-#### ***** check before making the trip.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. Thanks for all your help and as the cost of an HDMI to HDMI cable to try connecting my portable TV is not much different to the USB adaptor, there is little point in going down that route! ALso, the alternative solution of buying a new computer is also more expensive and I don't need to upgrade yet! So I think we have exhausted all we need to do and we need to finish our discussions, if you agree. Tony
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
There is only one other option left Tony, to 100% rule out any issue with windows and that would be a windows reinstallation. It means backing up all your data and reinstalling your programs, but it is another option and one I would have proceeded on if the adapter was ruled out as the fault (via the test with the TV). A HDMI cable though is only 4 pounds.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-Supports-Ethernet-Return/dp/B00NH12LCY/ref=lp_418466031_1_1?s=electronics-accessories&ie=UTF8&qid=1451985502&sr=1-1
A lot cheaper then the USB adapter, but I understand if you just wish to get the adapter, as even after ruling out the adapter and reinstalling windows we can still be at the confirmation the computer cannot handle it. If its not a big cost personally to you, then you can go with the USB adapter.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.