Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

HiI have a brand new Canon MG7550. I need to print letters

I have a brand new Canon MG7550. I need to print letters on headed (Air Ambulance) notepaper. The printer seems to detect that there is already print on the sheet and spews it out unprinted. How can I cure this problem please?
John Hoyle
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.So does the printer print on regular blank paper? Or does it spit out regular bank paper too?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely fine with blank paper, envelopes, photo papers.
Interesting.....as im not finding anyting in the manual, or user guide just yet..This is VERY strange. .....Give me few more minutes to see if any of my colleagues can lend their 2 cents..Please stand by
Question:What is the SIZE of the paper that is being used for the letterhead? Also what is the WEIGHT of the paper for the letterhead?.Size means the dimensions.....standard or letter is 8.5x11 inches.Weight refers to how THICK or rigid the paper is? I mean is the letterhead paper seem ALOT thicker than normal paper?
I don't think the printer can recognize if the paper has already been printed on.....as I don't ever recall and optical sensors inside the paper cassette, or through the print process, in my class. That's why the scanner is separate..I think it has something to do with the paper itself....or from the cassette you are using..What paper cassette are you using to put the letterhead into? This printer has 2 cassettes for paper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The paper is A4 , weight approx 90g, the paper is going thro the lowest tray as per instructions. I have never had any problem before in years using this headed paper in previous printers. I have tried turning the paper over and it prints perfectly on the reverse side so it can't be the weight of the paper or its consistency causing the problem!
Thank you very much for the info..And your logic is sound. If it prints on the reverse side, it would print on the front side as well. So the size and weight of the LetterHead paper can be ruled out..Question:When you put in the LetterHead papers into the printer, are you just putting in 1 piece of paper? Or are you putting in many pages ino the paper tray?Is there any error messages that come up on the printer console? Any lights that flash?.And yes it is the bottom tray that you will use for the letterhead.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried putting other A4 sheets thro with typing on them at the top of a pile of plain sheets and the printer spits out the printed sheet and then prints whatever I have asked on the first plain sheet beneath it!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error messages . I have tried printing the letterhead sheet singly and on a pile, no difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No flashing lights either! The printer seems quite happy but I am not!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I must turn in now, thank you for your thoughts so far, I will try again in the morning. John
Well I do admire your candidness, and we will get ths reolved tomorrow when return..Have a great night, and talk to you tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning Quicksilver 07070
May we continue our discussion?
I have done one more test using plain 90g paper throughout -
First wrote 3 lines of writing at top of a page in Word, inserted plain sheet and printed off - all OK.
Second- using this sheet in lowest printer tray face down with writing at top tried to print a whole written test page from Word with writing top to bottom - sheet spewed out.
Third - repeated the process with the same 3 line sheet inserted with the lines at bottom of page. The printer printed the first 2 lines of the test page and then spewed it out.Conclusion - This eliminates the headed Air Ambulance sheet completely. There must be some sensor that detects pre-existing print on a paper as it is about to be printed on. So there must be software controlling this sensor; can this be identified and incapacitated? Am I right?
Cheers
I understand your theory, and really enjoyed reading about the experiments you did on the printing..Is there a sensor that is detecting if the paper has any print on it......more and more i am begining to belive this..Although.....i scoured thorugh the ONLINE USER MANUAL for this printer (over 800 pages long) and found NOTHING to confirm this theory..So, my next step is to actually contact Canon, and get to the bottom of this..The question is WHY WOULD THEY DO SUCH A THING? What would be the purpose of detecting if the paper is BLANK or not? And then ONLY allowing BLANK paper to be printed on? It makes no sense..But there are lots of things that make no sense in this world....so my ONLY conclusion is that because this is a PHOTO printer, and not a BUSINESS printer for an office, that the printer is equipped with such a sensor.....so we want to disable it..Please stand-by, as i dig FURTHER into this mystery.
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience: Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it might be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the printer driver software in the meanwhile just in case that has anything to do with it. Anything positive I will let you know ASAP.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello - success!
Tried reinstalling the driver and bingo, the printer will print over headed paper. The first time I installed the software I clicked ALL the options when asked which I wanted to install including one saying WSO I think which was not already clicked when the page opened. I think this one had something to do with printing DVD labels and may have prevented the overprinting feature. Honestly I don't know but all is well now!
John