Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have been using MS Office Accounting Express 2009 successfully

Customer Question

I have been using MS Office Accounting Express 2009 successfully for several years for my small consulting business.
My PC runs Windows 7 Home Premium.
I typically enter data on a quarterly basis for tax reporting purposes. I last used Office Accounting successfully on 26th October to input data for the July to September quarter.
I now need to enter data for the October to December quarter, but I find that I cannot open the program.
When I click on the Office Accounting icon on the Taskbar, I get the following sequence of events:-
1. The Office Accounting panel appears with the words “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”
2. The User Account Control panel immediately appears and asks “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?” The details are shown as:-
- Program: Microsoft Office Accounting 2009
- Verified publisher: Microsoft Corporation
- File origin: Hard drive on this computer
- File location: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Small Business\Office Accounting 2009\ExecuteRestricted.exe”/ss “MICHAELCOLE-PC\MSSMLBIZ” “michaelcoleassociates”
3. When I click on “Yes”, the Office Accounting panel is again visible, initially showing “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”, and then moving on to “Establishing database connection”.
4. Eventually the Office Accounting 2009 Start Menu appears.
5. I click on “Open an existing company”
6. The “Select Company File” menu appears.
7. I click on my company “michaelcoleassociates”.
8. The Office Accounting panel again appears with the words “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”
9. The User Account Control panel again appears and asks “Do you want to allow the following program to make changes to this computer?” (The details shown are the same as before.)
10. I click on “Yes”
11. The Office Accounting panel reappears with the words “Starting Microsoft SQL Server”
12. The Office Accounting 2009 Start Menu appears.
13. I click on “Open an existing company”
14. The “Select Company File” menu appears.
15. I click on my company “michaelcoleassociates”.
16. We go into an endless loop from 7 to 15 above.
If, instead of trying to “Open an existing company”, I click on “Restore an Office Accounting company from a back-up file, I end up with a message telling me “There was an error granting application administrator access”.
I have never needed to restore my company from a back-up, but when I looked at my most recent back-up, stored in “C:\Users\Michael Cole\Dropbox\Small Business Accounting\Companies”, I discovered that it was saved as an Adobe Acrobat file.
When I tried to open it, I got the following message:-
Adobe Acrobat Reader DC could not open:-
“michaelcoleassociates_2015-10-26.sbb” because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and wasn’t correctly decoded).
Can you fix this?
Michael
Category: Computer
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 1 year ago.
Hello there do you get any kind of SQL database error please?
Where is the SQL database stored; on a networked computer or on your computer please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get any messages suggesting an SQL database error.My PC is not networked, so I presume that the SQL database must be stored on the PC.A folder called Microsoft SQL Server also appears in C:\Program Files.There are also two folders in C:\Program Files (x86), one is Microsoft SQL Server, the other is Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition.Hope this helps.Michael
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you receive my answer re the location of the SQL database?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and fix the problem while you watch?Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($15) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I'm OK with remote access. I will be free from around 10:30 am to 1:30 pm today (Thursday).How will you make contact?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back. I am from a different time zone and by the time of this writing, it is 4:51PM here. Approximately how many hours from now is your 10:30AM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm in London. It's now 09:00 am.So I'll be free in 1 and a half hours.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. I will be available by then.I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session. And we can do the remote session at 10:30AM your time.Thank you.Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem.Please reply to me when you are available for the remote session at 10:30AM your time so that I can send you the procedures to join me in the remote session.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I'm ready any time from now.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back.For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session. These steps are intended for users with Windows computers. If you are using a Mac, please reply to me and let me know so that I can send you the procedures for Mac.1. Please click on this link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=19263eea-dc33-4c46-9250-3ee73ce093302. In that page, please click on the green I Agree button3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.4. Run the downloaded remote tool to join me in the remote session. I will be waiting for you there.Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning Jess
I've clicked on the link againto start our session, but it no longer works.
Michael
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Michael,Thank you for writing back. The linked expired already since I need to create a new session for us. Please use this link:http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=bf4f6410-0309-47cb-9605-b8d4bd9a5d21Thank you.Jess