Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Help!! I'm looking external microphone Sony

Customer Question

Help!! I'm looking for an external microphone for my Sony HDR-CX505 camcorder. The Sony ECM-GZ1M does not fit the hot shoe - it is too large. Is there a mic or an adapter available?
David Warnock
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.Sony Camcorder ACTIVE INTERFACE SHOE is a TERRIBLE proprietary interface..Sony makes so many different camcorders, and NOT SO MANY microphones, that only a select FEW of microphones will actually work. EVEN if the microphones FITS into the ACTIVE INTERFACE SHOE it still may not work......due to SONY's blockhead design..So....again because this is a SONY.....and because SONY only will allow a mic to connect through the ACTIVE INTERFACE SHOE that you are left with only a VERY SMALL limited selection of microphones..I am compiling a list for you, and will post it ASAP..Please stand-by
The first i found that will work is the Sony ECM-HST1 High-Fidelity Stereo Microphone
As far as i can tell, NOT ALL ACTIVE INTERFACE SHOE on the camcorders are the same....as you have noticed..Even if it SAYS it will work, it may not.....SONY is horrendous for making proprietary interfaces, and then NOT keeping their proprietary interface consistent through out their camcoprders..I absolutely HATE SONY for camcorders. IN the future, make sure the camcorder you buy has an XLR microphone interface, which is a INDUSTRY standard interface..With that in mind....even if the mic SYAS it is ACTIVE INTERFACE SHOE compatible......it still may not work..The only mic i kNOW that will work is the one i have listed above, as i have experience with it.
Please take a moment to rate my performance....Thank you!