Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

This is a question about an iPad2 which I purchased last week

This is a question about an iPad2 which I purchased last week off eBay. It was listed as 'new', without an Apple guarantee. On arrival it was in a sealed box, and appeared to be immaculate and unused. After fully charging I went through the setup routine, and it initially behaved normally.
However when selecting any feature (Photos / Any App etc.) it appeared to freeze. There was no way of getting out of this state (I tried Home Button once and twice - no result). Switching off, and rebooting allowed me to use it again, but no Home Button function as described).
Seller has asked me to "reset software" via iTunes.
Does this make sense to cure this problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.It sounds like this device is defective..All Ipads have a RESET to FACTORY feature. So the Itunes instructions, make no sense. YOu dont need Itunes to reset an Ipad..HOwever, you can sync the Ipad with Itunes..If this Ipad does NOT come with Apple Care or any type of warranty, you might want to think about returning it for a refund. Sounds like the seller KNEW something, and just REshrink wrapped the product box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your comments.

How does one Reset to Factory?

Go to Settings → General → Reset..Once you get to the Reset screen, you will be given numerous options, and you want to use ERASE ALL CONTENT & SETTINGSReset All SettingsErase All Content & SettingsReset Network SettingsReset Keyboard DictionaryReset Home Screen LayoutReset Location & Privacy
Did that help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is a follow-up to the previous question, regarding a faulty 'new' iPad 2.

Before returning to the seller they are saying that a factory reset is only going to repeat the problem if it's software related (I suspect it's a hardware problem).

They are advising re-installing the software via iTunes, which, when I think about it might make sense. Re-installing fresh software would at least show whether it is a software problem or hardware.

Is that logical?

Yeah, if you want to go through it, and spend the time. YOu could rule out the software if the freezing keeps happening....BUT HOW LONG AFTER you reset the software using itunes do you wait before you declare the problem is fixed? a minute...a day....a month?Even if it does work.....do you really want to keep it after such a thing....what if after a few months it happens again?I would just want a different one.....maybe exchange it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks...that's good advice.

Yeah...no problem....your welcome.