Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

The website of the organisation I volunteer hacked

The website of the organisation I volunteer for was hacked a while back but it has now been fixed. However all Google searches for 'National Justice and Peace Network' find the right website but still carry the warning 'This site may be hacked'. Yahoo search for this website does not display any warning.
How do I contact Google to get them to drop this warning which I believe could put potential browsers off looking further.
Kevin Burr
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Are you the webmaster of this hacked website?Or do you have access to the Google Webmaster account where this site is being managed?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I'm not the Webmaster, and I don't have access to it. I'm just a volunteer trying to sort it out.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back with that information. Unfortunately, in order to fix this issue, that is, to have the "This site may be hacked" message in search results, the webmaster must take some action.Do you know the person in your organization who acts as the webmaster? By webmaster, I am referring to the one with Google Webmaster access where this website is being maintained.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know the webmaster's name, but I've never met her. There is no link on the website to the Webmaster!
If I find out how to get in touch with her can I link her into this conversation at no extra charge?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. I doubt if you can link her to this conversation. But I guess you can relay our conversation to her through email.By a webmaster account, it is referring to a Google account that is used to manage the website. Here is the link:https://www.google.com/webmasters/Now, you can ask the webmaster to check her webmaster account since this is the only way to remove the message in the search results knowing that the site which was hacked was fixed already.Here are the steps fix your website:Sign in to your Google Webmaster account and then go to Search Console. If there is no Webmaster account fir this website, you can register and verify your site in Google’s Search Console.Sign in to Search Console and check the "Security Issues" section to see details of sample URLs that might be hacked. Fix the security issue that allowed your website to be infected. Otherwise, your site is likely to be reinfected.Read the resources for hacked sites for detailed information on how to fix your website.IMPORTANT: After fixing the site, you need to request a review in the Security Issues section in Search Console when your entire website is clean and secure.After submitting the review request, Google will then check if indeed your site is fixed. If the security issues are fixed, Google will then remove the "This site may be hacked" message.I hope that helped.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jess. This is not my area of expertise, and I don't understand how Google has a place on our website because they had nothing to do with building the website as far as I know, except they obviously detected when it was hacked.I'll gladly rate you 3-5 but I won't know if your advice works until I get the Webmaster to act on it. Can I hold this conversation open for a few days until I know the result, or must I close now?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back. Please allow me to explain few things.Yes, other people from your organization might have built or created the website. They can manage the website contents and look and feel and all other stuffs.However, the problem that you are seeing is from Google. Google tools detected that there was security issues on the website thus marked it as hacked. What you see when you do the search is purely "Google's" content as their tools indexed your site. Google as a search engine index or creates its own version or dump of ALL websites so that Google can show the best search results when someone performs a search. This is where Google Webmaster account comes in. It is an account that can be created by anyone for free, that will be used to manage HOW GOOGLE looks at his or her website.So in your case, a Webmaster account is needed so that you or anyone from your organization can manage this Google thing. If the person you were referring to is indeed the webmaster of your site, then it will be easy for her to send a review request.This is how it works:Sign up or login to the webmaster account that manages your siteThere the webmaster can submit a request to review the site. With this review, Google will check if indeed the problem is fixed.If it is fixed, then the remark will be removed. If it is not fixed, the webmaster will be advised on the things to do to fix the problemLastly, yes you can rate my service later on when you will be able to and when the issue is fixed. You can return to me here any time if you need further assistance.Thank you.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jess.
I have forwarded the link to your reply top someone who will be able to send it on to our webmaster, and I'll get back to you asap.
Thanks again, Kevin.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome, Kevin. Please take your time.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I seem to have lost my previous response in switching tabs. Sorry about that. Anyway I have passed the information on to our Webmaster who is giving it attention. However it is evident that Google is still warning that our website may have been hacked, so I presume he has not yet successfully solved the problem. I will get back to you just as soon as he reports, or I notice that the Google message has been removed.
Thanks again.
Kevin
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kevin,Thank you for writing back. Yes please take your time. Regarding the warning from Google, it will only be removed after your Webmaster submits the request for review since you mentioned that the site was already fixed.Since the security/hacking issue was already fixed, the webmaster must request Google to review the site if indeed it is already fixed. After the review and Google confirms that the site is fixed, that is the only time that the warning is removed.Thank you.Best regards,Jess