Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

I bought my wife a Kindle paper white around 3 years ago and

I bought my wife a Kindle paper white around 3 years ago and she loves it. However, there seems to be a fault and I wonder if it can be fixed?
It will charge up and the green light shows but when she tries to switch it on it won't go off the screen saver. It's as if it's frozen.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. Please try the following fix:- Press and hold (or slide and hold) the Power on / off button / switch on the Kindle for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on and check.Please reply at the box below to continue troubleshooting. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The screen saver has now gone and it shows to plug in and charge. We have plugged it in, the orange light is on but the symbol of the battery on screen is static and shows very low. It has been plugged in overnight and the green light came on leading us to believe that it was fully charged. Also, the Kindle will still not switch on.
I'm sorry. Can you please charge the kindle for a few minutes, then while charging it, press and hold the power on/off button on the kindle for about 60 seconds this time, then turn it back on and check. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the screen showing the battery permanently I pressed the on button and after 60 seconds or so the screen went blank but still lit. Then it came on again showing the screen the same thing, i.e. nothing had changed. The battery symbol is still; showing?
I'm sorry. This is a hardware issue. Please go to the Amazon website belowhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?skip=true, and fill out the option there for repair / replacement.- In the mean time, I can show you how to read your kindle books on another device for now. Do you have a Windows or Mac computer or a tablet or iPad or smartphone or iPhone, etc.?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The kindle is showing an orange light but does not seem to be charging up.
I'm sorry; that means the battery is bad; Amazon needs to replace it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?skip=true- For now, would you like to read your kindle books on another device you have, such as on a computer or tablet or smartphone?Please reply at the box below. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not really possible, I want to get the kindle up and running.
I'm really sorry; it is a hardware issue; the battery is bad (battery loses charge over time and would die eventually), so it has to be repaired / replaced by Amazon. So if you need to, you can read kindle books on another device. Or you can get a new kindle and then you can download all your old books on the new kindle. Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
While I've been communicating with you the screen has changed to show KINDLE and a picture of a hill with a tree and a bloke. There is also a bar that is moving as if something's being loaded. Then, while I've been writing this the Kindle has booted up although the battery indicator is showing very low. I've just got your latest message.
Would the battery go down so quickly or fade over time? Also, if it is the battery can it be replaced or is that not commercially sensible?
With the battery low, is the kindle working now or not?Any type of battery can go down so quickly or fade over time; it's random.No, it's not sensible as battery is expensive, hard to replace (usually requires a tech), and the kindle is old; you never know if it will die soon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Kindle is working. I suppose we'll have to wait and see if the battery lets it down eventually? If it does, I'll replace the Kindle as you suggest.
OK, you can charge again and check. If you need help with anything else later, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service today by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top, then click on Submit when it shows up. Thank you very much for your patience.
Also, in the future, if you need to (for example, waiting for a new kindle), you can always check / read your Kindle books at the website https://read.amazon.com/ on a computer, and/or use the Kindle app on any tablet or smartphone.If you need anything else, please come back any time. Thank you again.