Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I bought a 'Sonnet Technologies USB3-4PM-E Allegro PCI-e Card

I bought a 'Sonnet Technologies USB3-4PM-E Allegro PCI-e Card (4-Port, USB 3.0)'. Everything was working fine until I left my computer for a while. Then my Mac Pro (mid-2012), OSX 10.11.2, couldn't be woken up. This happened a number of times. Eventually I had to prevent sleep.
I checked your website and found some software to download (although you mention that "The drivers that enable the Allegro USB 3.0 4-Port card to work in your computer or Thunderbolt expansion chassis are installed as part of OS X 10.8.5 and later; the Allegro card is ready to use when you power on your computer.").
The problem has not disappeared, however. Can you help me resolve it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.I believe it has somethign to do with the SLEEP protocol of OSX. When it flushes all the cache before sleeping, the system may get hung up, when it turns power off the the PCIe card.You might be able to change the protocol of the SLEEP feature.....but i am not quite sure where this lives.....YET..See the below explanantion:.To minimize power usage during sleep, power is removed from PCIe cards. Because of this power-saving specification, a USB 2.0 or 3.0 PCIe card is unable to maintain USB port power during sleep. In OS X, this result in a storage device disconnect upon wake from sleep. The storage device will automatically remount, but the system reports a disconnect message. Because Mac OS X flushes all caches before sleeping, this disconnect should never result in any loss of data.
You can change how some features react when left idle, or prevent your computer from sleeping. To select which features of your computer enter a low power mode when left idle, open the Energy Saver pane of System preferences.
Heres what i would reccomend to keep this from happening in the future..Do NOT put the computer to sleep....rather, just put the DISPLAY to sleep..When the display wakes up, the computer is still on, and keeps your PCIe card from losing power, and causing you to have reboot, to regain control..So...there is no solution.....its just how OSX manages the peripherals, and the only thing you can do is CHANGE WHEN it happens..OSX is not very customizable.....for a reason.....Apple doesnt like folks modifying their System code, unlike a Windows machine.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Yes, I had already thought of and implemented your advice. I had hoped that someone might know of a solution, however, as otherwise Sonnet promised something publicly and wasn't able to deliver when actually selling. It states explicitly (as quoted in my letter) that customers from the OS X community do not need to expect any problem.
I checked last evening by letting my computer sleep for 5, 20, 30 minutes and during the night when I went to bed. No problems with the shorter periods, but the same problem with the longer period.