Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I need help sending emails from MAIL. It keeps asking for

HI I need help sending emails from MAIL. It keeps asking for my smtp password? i don't know what it is and I have tried every password ***** have ever used with no luck!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Can you tell me please which email program you are using?
And to which email service it is connecting to?
I can see you are a first time user to the site. What we do here is either a question and answer type of conversation or remote support where I would actually connect to the computer and have a look and attempt to fix the problem for you.
Remote support can save a lot of time if you are not comfortable performing repairs yourself. Sometimes even with instructions you can make a mistake and make things worse.
I will send an offer through for remote support and should you accept I will connect and see what is going on and fix the issue. Otherwise we can continue to talk like this but I will need to ask a number of other questions and try and walk you through some steps.
Both options are 100% guaranteed by the way. Remote is just quicker and avoids the risk of you making a mistake and doing something wrong.
If you want remote click get extra help. If not simply reply to me.
Thanks,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to try first before you doing it remotely thanks. I have a gmail account. I usually write invoices and send them with MAIL. I have had no problem beofre but now I need to input a smtp password ***** I don't know so i haven't been able to send any invoices. Can I retrieve the password ***** somewhere else?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, the email program though this is Apple Mail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I think so! It is the default one i think
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** it would be if your not sure.
If you click on my link below, can you sign into your gmail account there?
www.gmail.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But my problem isn't within gmail itself if i am signed in. It is with mail? sorry does that make sense?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes it all makes sense, hence why I want you to do the instructions I just gave you please...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I signed in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any luck?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you (not sure what you mean with any luck sorry) but Can you in Mail, click on Mail, Preferences, click on the Gmail Account, click on the SMTP dropdown box and click Edit SMTP Server.
There, click Advance, re-enter your password ***** save this and tell me if you can now send please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i did that. Still did not accept the password. Still can't send.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
What was the exact message it indicated?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says it rejected the password ***** try again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, then it is requiring you enable 2 step verification and provide an app specific password *****
To do this, click on my link below and click on Get Started and enable 2 step verification on your account.
https://www.sentrysafe.com/ContactUs/Call_Or_Email_Us
Once done, you then use this link and generate an app specific password ***** is a long series of numbers and letters.
https://security.google.com/settings/security/apppasswords
At the bottom, click Select app and choose the app you’re using.
Click Select device and choose the device you’re using.
Select Generate.
Follow the instructions to enter the App password (the 16 character code in the yellow bar) on your device.
Select Done.
It will then be able to send.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when i clicked on link above it took me to sentry safe website? Do i have to register in that?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no, something went wrong with the creation of the link, ignore that please and use this as this is the one it should be
https://www.google.com/landing/2step/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thank you. it worked
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.