Mike the Mac Medic
Mike the Mac Medic, Consultant
Experience:  Over 20 years experience with Apple/Windows desktop publishing, design, troubleshooting
25267123

HelloI have recently downloaded Apple OS X and as a result

Customer Question

I have recently downloaded Apple OS X and as a result I have lost all my images filed on I Photo. All other files and software were saved to OS X with the exception of I Photo. Can you please advise me if this can be recovered and how I could do this. This is an Apple Mac laptop. Thank you.
Terry Haley
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,My name is ***** ***** certified professional with over 10 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.the photos may be stored in an "iPhoto Library", whose default location is the "Pictures" folder.Check there, and if you find that iPhoto Library, double click on it, this will open iPhoto and make this Library the default one.Let me know if this does not work and we can try another solution.Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Randy
My efforts, in following your advice, meant I was able to pick up I photo on Applications - I Photo then told me the version installed is not compatible with OS X El Capitan. It then suggested to download the latest version from the Mac App Store. I duly went ahead but the store told me the version is not yet available. Terry
okay, the iPhoto was replaced by the Photos App. Do you have that icon on your desktop or in applications.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Randy
Yes I have a photo's icon on desktop.
Terry
okay, this sounds like you will need a data recovery tool> PLEASE CLICK HERE<
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randy
Do Your Data was downloaded but would not open claiming it is from 'Unidentified Developer'. Again it says will only open from Mac App Store. I dragged the Do Your Data icon into App Store but it would open. Terry
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Meant to say --It would not open
okay, try this >Click on the Apple menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy >General tab. Under Allow applications downloaded from select Anywhere: Download and install the app. To launch the app Ctrl-click on its icon > Open.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randy
Followed your instructions and downloaded app again having selected ANYWHERE - but the app would still not open. I used Ctrl - click but an icon appears suggesting reopen but several attempts fail to open app. terry
Try these steps please>To override your security settings and open the app anyway:In the Finder, locate the app you want to open.Don’t use Launchpad to do this. Launchpad doesn’t allow you to access the shortcut menu.Press the Control key and click the app icon, then choose Open from the shortcut menu.Click Open.The app is saved as an exception to your security settings, and you can open it in the future by double-clicking it just as you can any registered app.Note: Another way to grant an exception for a blocked app is to click the “Open Anyway” button on the Security pane of System Preferences. This button is available for about an hour after you try to open the app.To open this pane, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Security & Privacy.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Randy
I don't feel I am making any progress I have tried your last suggestion several times but I am getting the same caption rejecting to open the app and that it will refer the attempt to open to Apple. Terry
Okay, sorry about that. I will open the question and let the other experts take a look at it. Thank you for your patience.
Expert:  Mike the Mac Medic replied 1 year ago.
Please go to the Apple logo at the upper left of your computer screen to About This Mac and give me this information:The exact system Version (listed right under Mac OS X)ProcessorMemory
First you can go to the App Store and click on Updates do you see an Update for iPhoto? If so download it. Or you can open Photos the replacement for iPhoto and it will convert your iPhoto Library
That "Data Recovery" software the other expert suggested it worthless junk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mike: Info as follows: OS X EL CAPITAN
Processor: 2.6GHz INTEL CORE I5
Memory: 86B 1600MHz DDR 3
MACBOOK PRO (Retina 13" MID 2014
Terry Haley
ok Let's check some things before we begin: Reboot into the Recovery HD by choosing the &lsquo;Apple&lsquo; menu > Restart, then hold down the &lsquo;Command’ + R’ keys on the keyboard during the start up process. When you see the Apple Logo you can let go. When the machine boots you may have to choose your language then you will see the OS X Utilities screen. Select the Disk Utility and then Continue. Then in Disk Utility select Macintosh HD in the left column (if there are two with that name or it is named something else choose the first indented item) and then on the right select the First Aid tab then select Run.