jstinehelfer
jstinehelfer, Computer Repairer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in computer repair. I am A+ Certified. Three years in Networking.
63323962

Am trying to get rid of this Terminal message that's crippli

Customer Question

Hi - am trying to get rid of this Terminal message that's crippling my iMac, I can't get rid of it, or get online to download and reinstall El Capitan or anything. Hope you can help:
login(1725,0x7fff7414c000) malloc: ***error for object 0x7f86c8601a30: pointer being freed was not allocated *** set a breakpoint in malloc_error_break to debug [process was terminated by signal 6]
Category: Computer
Expert:  jstinehelfer replied 1 year ago.
Hi there my name is ***** ***** so sorry to hear your having problems. Hopefully together we can get this solved.Solution for OS X 10.11 (El Capitan) and later:Install Onyx 3.1.3 app (Free analog of Disk Utility)Choose 'Maintenance' -> 'Permissions' -> 'Execute'.http://i.stack.imgur.com/GsdUN.png <---- click for an example photoSolution for older versions of OS X:Open 'Disk Utility' app -> Press 'Repair Disk Permissions'.It will set default permissions for the /usr/bin directory.If this step doesn't help try this:Delete com.apple.terminal.plist from the ~/Library/Preferences folder;Reboot computer and try again.I do apologize I seen your detail message of what you tried after I responded. Have you tried deleting the plist file?