Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

My laptop keeps shutting down every 10-15 mins when in use

my laptop keeps shutting down every 10-15 mins when in use
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 12 months ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.The only 2 reasons this would happen are:Virus or Malware, or some type of worm.Hardware Failure, and most likely is the CPU..Here is how i would tackle this problem.It is possible that it is the CPU heating up to the point that the computer shuts down.Why would this happen? Again a hardware failure is the culprit, only this time it is an internal FAN. Which a hardware diagnostic will NOT pick up. Because its a FAN, and it only gets power....not other signals..So, check to make sure ALL your FANS are running when they should be.Make sure you have NO Virus's or malware on your computer, using a Antivirus like Norton, or something like that.In addition, you will want to run some hardware diagnostics. This can be tricky as not all diagnostics are the same..Let me know the results, and please take a moment to rate my performance.Thank you!
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
how do you check fan?
Look.....Listen.....and FEEL with your hand if the AIR is coming out..Since you have a LAPTOP you probably only have 1 or 2 fans..How OLD is this laptop anyways?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
3yrs old it had a new mother board last year. If it is fan how do you remedy that?
Just FYI....Motherboards are separate from the CASE fan, and the CPU fan..If the fan is no longer spinning.....there is ONLY ONE REMEDY....Replace the fan. They are NOT repairable..Is this computer in a dirty air environment? DO you have Pets? Is there alot of Smoke from cigarettes or cigars or any smoke in the air?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Sorry it has just shut down. No to all of the questions above. I really do not know if the fan is working or not there is no air coming out of either vents so I assume that indicates its not working. Do I need to take it to a laptop repair company then to have the fan replaced or is it possible to myself?
It depends on if you are technically inclinced enough to handle such a task..The difficult depedns on the MAKE and MODEL of laptop you have.So, what is the make and model of laptop you have?Most likely if you feel NO AIR coming out....then the fan has probably failed...However, you can also check to make sure you CPU is actually hetaing up to the point of turing off..So grab a small applet that monitors the CPU temperature.From here:http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.28.exe
If i would have to guess, i would reccommend you take this PC into a shop for repair....as i doubt you will be able to make hardware changes yourself..Would you like me to find a shop near you, that you can take it to?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
yes can you recommend one please L12 9ES
What is your Location?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Liverpool L129ES
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
West Derby
TechKnowledge Computer Repairs575 West Derby Road, MerseysideLiverpoolL13 8AE+44 7816 512234
But....WAIT.....what is the MAKE and MODEL of your laptop please?
If it is an Apple product......then you will want to go to a different place..If its NOT an Apple product.....then TECHKNOWLEDGE is a great place.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
HP PavillionThank you for your advise
Okay great.....you have a Normal PC. So you can take into TECHKNOWLEDGE with no problem..Just explain the situation....and most likely it will be a FAN that needs to be replaced.
You are Welcome.......Please take a moment to RATE my performance.And have a GREAT DAY!
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience: Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.