Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have overwritten an excel file containing valuable information

hi I have overwritten an excel file containing valuable information that I need to recover. Tgere is no previous versions to show and it is not in auto recover what can I do
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
Which version of windows are you using and how did you check for a previous version?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Windows 8 I think. (not very computer expert.)I went into my file that I wanted and clicked file, I looked down to versions and there were no previous versions then I tried to recover unsaved workbook but it wasn't there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THe file does autosave every 10 minutes. I have lost all mon - Wednesday work from last week but thurs - sat is there. I wondered how we go back in time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can I call you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,
That is the correct procedure and if there is no previous version, its not going to be possible to recover it sorry.
Its not like deleting a file which can be recovered, as its only marked the data for deletion.
With this you re-arranged the data for the file by overwriting it which is why it cannot be undone as the data has been completely changed.
Its the difference between overwritting and deleting.
I would advise you consider a service such as www.dropbox.com
you install the software and you see a new dropbox folder.
Always work from that folder as its both backed up online and versioned, so you can always revert to a previous version in this event.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the smiley faces then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can we not do a system restore back to last Wednesday
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It will have no effect, a system restore is only for system files, it does not effect your files, else I would have suggested it.
We can call if you want but its an additional service. I do not see the need for you to pay the extra amount as it wont change anything (I deal with this all the time) but if it helps, accept the offer and I will call.