Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

Acer Aspire will not boot. caught in loop of doing scanning

Customer Question

Acer Aspire will not boot. caught in loop of doing scanning and repairing C drive
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
Hi, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. I believe there is some serious issues with your hard disk drive that your system loops into repairing it. And I believe your goal is correct -- recover your data before doing a reset or repair.Do you have other computer with a capability of burning data into a blank CD?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yes i have a computer with cd access but could this not be done by memory drive.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
I am very sorry but most systems specially older ones will not boot into a flash drive. And most boot tools does not allow USB boot. It will be safe and spontaneous when creating the tool using a bootable CD.But you can check it for yourself. In the problem Acer computer, please restart it and access the BIOS by pressing Del or F2. (The actual key is shown on screen when it boots and you press Esc)When you are in the BIOS, navigate to the Boot or Boot Order menu and see if USB Flash Drive or something similar is one of the boot options.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok in problem computer there is no cd drive, options are
Windows Boot Manager
HDD: WDC
USB FDD
USB HDD
USB CDROM
Network Boot IPV6
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Network Boot IPV4
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
thank you for the information. is this computer equipped with built-in CD/DVD Drive? Your boot options show external drives only.Please confirm.Also, there is no option to boot from USB flash drive
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no built in cd drive
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for that confirmation. That is the reason why and ODD (Optical Disk Drive) is not listed there. So you have 2 options here and the best options is a USB CD ROM. Do you have an external CD ROM drive? If not, then we will try the USB Flash Drive boot first.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no external cd ROM
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for that confirmation.Now, here is the goal: Convert your USB Flash Drive into a Bootable Flash Disk with Ubuntu Linux.Ubuntu is an operating system and your disk will become an installer for Ubuntu. IMPORTANT: Please DO NOT install Ubuntu from the Flash Drive. Instead, select the option to use Live CD. This is a tool where you can actually use Ubuntu Linux FROM the installation drive WITHOUT installing it. Some sort of a test run.When you are in the Live CD test run, you can access your hard disk data and there you can copy it to another Flash drive.Are you ready to proceed? Please prepare your blank USB flash drive and let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Am i to download this piece of software onto the memory drive - never heard of this before
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
Yes, you need to download and create your Ubuntu installer onto your USB flash drive. Using this method, you will be able to access your hard disk data and recover them before doing anything with the problem computer.I believe you are ready to start the process if you have your blank USB drive there. Here are the steps:Download the installer for Ubuntu USB Creation from this link:http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/#button After downloading, run it to create the USB tool. This tool is a bootable USB drive containing Ubuntu linuxWhen creation of the USB is done, use it to BOOT your problem laptop/computerYou might need to press F8 at boot time to select USB Flash drive as the boot deviceWhen booting from the USB, you will then be shown with Ubuntu installerDO NOT install Ubuntu. Instead, use the Try Ubuntu optionWhen you are in the LIVE Ubuntu session, you can then access your hard disk data and recover your files.You need to copy your files that you want to recover to ANOTHER USB drive, not the bootable USB stick.I hope that helped. Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
I have tested the process I gave you and in the first downloaded tool, you need to click on the check box that says "Download Link Opened". Click Yes to the prompt to go to the download page.Click on the Download button for the LTS version, scroll down then click on the link that says "Not now, take me to the download ›" to download the ISO for free.Then download Ubuntu installer and it can take some time since it is 1006MB ISO file.When done, go back to the USB creation tool and locate the ISO file using the BROWSE button.Then click on CREATE.I hope that helps, please let me know your results so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Expert:  Jess M. replied 10 months ago.
Hi Theresa,How is it going? I believe you are still downloading or creating the bootable USB drive.Your other option to recover your data from the problem computer is to manually remove the hard disk of the problem computer, and then use an HDD enclosure, install or insert the extracted HDD to the enclosure, then plug the HDD enclosure to your other computer, and then access your old computer data from the enclosure just like an external hard drive or USB flash drive.This is faster but the extra efforts are:You need to take out the hard drive from the problem computerYou need to buy the correct HDD enclosureIf you want this option, or if the bootable USB tool won't work for you like when your system will NOT boot into the USB flash drive, then you need to proceed to this option. Here are the steps:Remove the hard disk drive from the problem computer. This is important to determine if the hard disk is an IDE or SATA. A SATA disk is using a thin and narrow SATA cable while an IDE is using a thin but wide cable. Then you need to buy an enclosure that supports SATA or IDE so that the extracted hard disk will fit in the enclosure. You need to buy an HDD enclosure for the problem computer's HDD. That is, if the problem computer is a laptop, then buy a laptop HDD enclosure. If the problem computer is a desktop, then buy a desktop HDD enclosure. Here are the links for sample enclosures that you can buy online or in the nearest computer store:Laptop HDD enclosure:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA4GW21U6953&cm_re=laptop_hdd_enclosure-_-9SIA4GW21U6953-_-Product Desktop HDD enclosure:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182155&cm_re=desktop_hdd_enclosure-_-17-182-155-_-ProductWith your compatible enclosure bought and ready, insert or install the extracted HDD from the problem computer to the enclosurePlug the enclosure to any USB port of your working computerAccess your data as if it is an external drive! (Recovery of data is very easy then)I hope that helped.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess