Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I have an error message on Boot up --- X300XT BIOS P/N 113-A33437-102 How

I have an error message on Boot up --- X300XT BIOS P/N 113-A33437-102
How can I resolve this issue please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.Are you able to tell me the EXACT make and model of this computer, please?
I know it is a DELL, but is it a Inspiron, or an Optiplex, or a Dimension?Also, there is usually a number after the model.....for example......you might have a DELL DIMENSION 9150.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dell Dimension 9150
Ahh, thank you!.Are you aware of the Troublshooting lights, and what they mean?I have found a few that match what you described. But the 1-3-4 does not exist........ but 2-4, and 1-2-3 do exist, and i show you what they mean in the link below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I am aware of the Diagnostic Lights and their meaning. The 1-3-4 refers to the rapid sequence of flashes as the PC attempts to boot up. Sorry if I confused you!
Okay great.....so i need a bit more information..When did this error occur? Was the computer working fine, and then today, when you try to turn it on, you get the error message?Or were you doing something, and had to restart the computer, and then it came back with the error?Did you make a Windows update, and after the update restart, you got this error message?.Basically im trying to figure out what LEAD UP TO the error message.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, The PC was working OK but I was having some trouble when burning DVDs in Video Studio 12. This prompted me to take a close look at the Diagnostic Lights-Guided by the Dell user manual. At the end of the Boot Up sequence there was only Lights 1-2-and 3 showing solid green. There should be four solid green lights. This led me to pg., 55 of the user manual. I followed the instructions there---tried to Boot Up which resulted in my present problem.
Ahh, Thank you..So, there really isnt a problem PERSAY.....rather you kind of CREATED the problem, when you tried to unplug, and then plug back in, some or all t=of the cables inside the computer..I suggest you have a VERY CLOSE look at the RAM sticks (also called MEMORY MODULES)They can be tricky to make 100% sure they are properly seated into their slots.The RAM uses a special kind of retainer, that is at both ends of each RAM slot.These retainer locks, MUST be locked properly, or the RAM will not seat completely down into the motherboard.So please make sure of this!.The other cables will be IDE (80 wire ribbon cable) or SATA (smaller cable, with the inside end of the connector in the shape of a capitol L).Also the power cables.....will either be Molex (larger 4 pin) or they will be SATA power (slightly smaller than molex, but again the inside end will be in the shape of a capitol L)Are there any cables that are left over, that are NOT plugged into anything? Did you make 100% sure you got all the cables BACK to where they originally go?.Can you take some pictures of the INSIDE of the computer please? YOu can upload them here to this chat.Make especially sure to get good shots of the RAM, and motherboard, and the back of the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, yes I am aware of the RAM sticks being somewhat difficult to seat. I increased the RAM from 2GB to 4GB some years ago.
I have gone back over the procedures which I have already outlined a number of times to make sure that I had not overlooked anything. There is one cable not plugged in ie ( P18) but this has never been used. I assume it's for another DVD Drive.
I can supply photographs of the inside of the PC. and will do so if it is really necessary. I can assure you that the Memory Cards are in as far as they could possibly go. Also it is physically impossible to connect cables to the wrong ports because of their lengths etc., and apart from P18 and one other which is encapsulated there are no other cables hanging loose.
Alrighty..... you are quite technically savy....AWESOME!.in that case... Can you get to BIOS? Can you boot from disc? Maybe the HDD got messed up somehow?Its hard to believe that you encountered a hardware failure.....UNLESS....you exposed a component to ESD (Electro Static Discharge) while you were handling the components.ESD sparks carry a charge - upwards of a few thousand volts - but electrical circuits can be obliterated by very small charges (30V is more than enough to brick a video card, though the current is more important in determining damage)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again Quicksilver-- To your first question--NO I cannot access the PC at all. The error message is displayed on a black screen with a flashing -(Dash) underneath-- almost as though it is inviting some keyboard action from me ??? but nothing has been booted up. Having said that the booting sequence seems to get as far as the second DVD Drive (it flashes about 6 times before stopping and the fault message appearing--Hummm. I am not familiar with booting from disc-could you please enlighten. Thank you
I am aware of the static problem and have made sure that I discharged myself by touching the bare metal chassis on a regular bases. Also on disconnecting from the mains I pressed the start button to discharge any residual charge
PS I might be wrong but it appears as though one of the DVD drives might be Booted up ???
OKay, you dont need the DVD drives to boot up a computer.....you only need the boot media...which is the hard drive. And ofcourse the RAM, and the CPU, and the Mboard, and the power...but those go without saying..So...what i am getting at.....maybe one of the DVD drives has failed. The remedy is to disconnect them.....ALL OF THEM.Open up the computer, and disconnect ALL cables to the DVD drives.Then close it up, and reboot.You should get a normal boot then.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I disconnected all DVD drives --Results--The same.
I disconnected all DVD drives and the Floppy----BINGO I'm in!!!!Thank you Quicksilver BRILLIANT got to be a FIVE STAR Thanks again.
Ha....so...what about leaving the DVD drives in, and JUST the floppy out?What then?
Maybe we can isolate the issue down to a single component......and then you can replace it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I will try the process of elimination and I'm sure you will be proved right. But for now I have had a full and heavy day and I suppose that at 75 yrs old I can be excused for closing now. Enjoy what is left of your day and I won't forget the 5 Star. AWESOME service.
Thank you once again Patrick
Okay, I'm glad we almost got to the bottom of it....at least we got the computer working again..You are very welcome, and come on back anytime.Have a great Day!