Martin
Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10, I now find my existing

Customer Question

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10, I now find my existing documents in Word 2007 when printed do not fill an A4 sized paper although appearing correct in print preview. I have consulted Epson support who spent time with me & concluded that it was not the printer was at fault. He said that he thought the problem was to do with something that was needed to adjusted with Word 2002. I would appreciate some help with the problem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your computer.Have you tried setting the type of paper for the printer as A4?Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes Martin I have
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Good, how about the settings in the print window that ask you if you want to fit the page or print actual size?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I thought that as it was an existing document it was already done.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Does it only happen on Word?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Then it might just be a margin setting - can you set the margin as custom and enter 0" as the Top Left, Right margin?Set it to apply to the whole document.You can also select this option from the print window and set it to print "wide" but it will give you 1" max off each side.If you want it to print the whole page width (or as close to it) you need to set those custom settings as I mentioned above
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can try as you say though I see in the page set-up box that all the margin setting are as I set them originally set them. Shall I pull up the document now?.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, set the top left and right margins to 0" for the whole document and print a test page of your document, just one page to see if it makes a difference
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done what you said & I have been left wit a wide margin on the right , which was the problem in the first place. I think I should have mentioned that the right margin was the problem ( 2inch margin). All along the document has appeared correct on the screen.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Oh ok, then you can go back into the margin settings and set it to 1" on each side so it's evenDoes that make a difference to the printout ?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Just to make sure we're on the same page, have a look at this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9jZfTN23hY
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well Martin I have done as you say, everything looks OK on the screen but I still have a wide margin of almost " inches on the right. I would add that the document is in landscape format with the text in 3 columns.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, almost how many inches?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 inches
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
If you give me some time I can connect to you remotely and work on the problem with you from your computer - If you set the margin to 0" does it print the same on the right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes with the wide margin on the right
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Then maybe it's the actual document margin that's limited - have you had a look at that?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It would be easier if I could have a look at it - I don't currently have Word 2007 installed so I can't recall if it's 2007 or earlier that had separate settings for the page and print margins.Would you like to do a remote session?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Look at this video and set the "Show text boundaries" option to onhttps://youtu.be/jHkq3lSE6TM?t=22
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have looked at that, I would add that I have been using this document for several years with no problems. It is a fixture card for a bowls club
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
If you create a new document and try to imitate the layout, with different bogus text, does it print out properly or do the same thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that and the same problem occurs.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
When did the problem start?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 weeks ago. I have looked at the video and applied as it said and the margins appear as I set them
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Have you tried system restore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I am not sure how to do that
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Press WindowsKey+R type rstrui and hit Enter(WindowsKey can be found on the bottom left of the keyboard between Ctrl and Alt and usually has a flag-like icon on it)Go next and see if you can choose one of the oldest Restore points, or select a date before the problem occurred. Go Next and let the system restore run.Let me know when you've completed the restore.Martin
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Martin before I try this will I lose any of my files. If it is possible could we switch to a remote session?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Sure. And no, you won't lose any personal files, only system settings are reverted. Please accept the remote support offer, then From your computer click the following link:https://ngmt.screenconnect.com/?Session=3591f445-e68d-4187-b512-948ebff82a04Then click Join your session -->And run (open) the program that gets downloaded Elsinore.ScreenConnect.ClientLet me know once you've done that or if you need additional steps.Martin
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Connected!