Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

Toshiba satelite laptop - high pitched shrieking feedback through

Customer Question

Toshiba satelite laptop - high pitched shrieking feedback through the speakers when using skype
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with Skype voice issue.Let me know if you are using any external speaker or mic.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
both mic and speakers are internal
have you tried to use windows recorder and check if the recording is fine.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
tried the windows recorder although the recording is quiet even though the volume is turned right up its works
The problem is with Skype only is that correct?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Also movement of the laptop lid sometimes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I tried a mic test also checked the speakers all seemed ok
Try uninstalling skype and then reboot the computer.
reinstall a new copy from www.skype.com and then check it should fix it and if not let me know.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
uninstalled Skype and installed a new version but no change. once skype connected the laptop was screaming which continued even when I disconnected the other computer, tried the echo test which gain caused the laptop to scream
I will let the question open to other experts for the input and views, you will get a reply on your email as soon as another expert replies to this question.
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 10 months ago.
Hi there.My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Please do not rate me until we have finished, and feel free to come back and ask for more information until you are happy. What you are experiencing is fairly common.What may be causing the problem you describe is Skype's auto volume controls turning mic gain up too high. Try this: Click on Tools > Options > Audio settings. Uncheck the boxes "Automatically adjust microphone" and "Automatically adjust speaker." You may have to tweak this a little but for starters, set the mic gain blue slider button to the second line from the left and the speaker volume slider to mid-range. Save the settings. If the problem still happens, ask the contact at the other end of the call to make the same changes. The feedback may be happening at there end. I hope this helps
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
unchecked the boxes on both machines but the problem still the same
Thankyou for the reply. Sorry to hear you are still having issues.You said before that you are using both the internal microphone and speakers on your computer. I know this will sound very awkward, but it would be beneficial to get a hold of a good quality headset and mic and plug that in to try.Like I say, this is a very common problem, and unfortunately the fix is different for everybody. I personally have no issues when using Skype, and I use the in built mic and speakers. I think there is most likely an issue with Skype itself causing this, but steps can be taken to minimise the sound you are experiencing.Please try using an external microphone and speakers, and get back to me. Kind regards.
Hi there.Have you managed to try what I suggested yet, or do you still require further help? Regards,Daniel.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
tried both external speakers and mic but the problems still persists