Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

I access my computer by a finger swipe. But today it will

I access my computer by a finger swipe. But today it will not respond to my finger swipe. The computer says enter a password. However it will still not allow me entry when I enter what I believe to be my Microsoft Account.
This computer that I am using now belongs to my wife. Mine is of course inaccessible.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.When you're prompted to enter the password, can you tell me the email addressyou see displayed above the password ***** section?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see anything yet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, are you still there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a very difficult site to use. Why no response or information? If I don't get a reply I do not want to pay anything.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay. On the screen asking for a password, can you tell me the text that is being displayed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot see any thing asking for a password
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
In your initial question you stated "The computer says enter a password."That's why I asked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I thought that you were referring to the screen here.
The page shows Owner. Then there is a box asking for a password. Below that is Reset Password. If I press reset password ***** says it requires a reset disk or usb which I do not have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When the system was normal, I had an additional facility to use fingerprint recognition. That facility is not now shown.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. It appears the fingerprint software has become corrupted.If you're only seeing "Owner" and there isn't an email address also displayed,it means you have a local account, as opposed to a Microsoft account. It's very difficultto reset that type of password ***** success is not assured.I can opt out of the question and open it up to the other experts to see if one has a way to get you in.Another option is to reset the computer and re-install Windows but unless your datahas been backed up it would be lost.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I thought this might be the case. I stand to lose a lot of data. If I take out the hard drive and use it with another computer can I get around the fingerprint problem?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Yes. If the drive is connected to another PC via a SATA-to-USB adapter you'll be able to access the fileson the drive and copy them off to alternate storage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I will have to try this then. Thank you for your advice.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
What's the brand and model of your PC?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is an HP Envy m6 15.6 inch laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you gone now?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
No. I was just looking into how the fingerprint reader works http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03718240
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ah, ok, I shall look at it and see if it makes sense to me!
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
OK. The article doesn't discuss what happens when you can't get into the machine.That make the password ***** critical issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I do not remember entering the original password ***** so what it is is something of a lottery. I shall not be using such pc protection in future. Unless I inscribe the password ***** the pc case.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
What I was checking was to make sure that the data on the drive isn't encrypted as part of the fingerprint setup.It's not, so if you remove the drive and connect it to another machine you will be able to access it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good news. So now I have a bit of hope! I may have to get a local wizz kid to do the job so that I don't have hundreds of knuts, bolts and springs all over the place when I release the screws.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03801889
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is that address for?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Sorry. It's visual instruction on how to take out the hard drive.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** look at that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you finished now? If so I will say bye bye.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
That's all for right now. Reply back if you have any issues with the data.And if you could take a moment before leaving to rate the service using the starsat the top of the page, then submitit would be much appreciated.