Kamil Anwar
Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.
69350257

De-deuplicate two separate excel sheets (sheet 1 and sheet

Customer Question

De-deuplicate two separate excel sheets (sheet 1 and sheet 2) - they are exports from Linked In. I want to decipher who are the new contacts added (so the additional contacts in sheet 2). I want to be left with the new contacts as results
Category: Computer
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
could you send an example file? Also NOTE: It will likely cost more than you are offering to fix this kind of problem. But will need to see example before quoting exact price.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Thanks. I did not want to send example file as sensitive contact data.But for a clear example. I have an excel sheet called 'contact list year 2015' with 3000 lines/rows of data.Since then I have made another updated excel sheet called 'contact list year 2016' with 3500 lines/rows of data.I cannot see which are the new contacts I have added. I wish to be left with a list of the 500 new lines of data (and not the 3000 from the 1st list)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know this makes sense
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
if possible I would need to see some sample data to create a formula from. You can use fake data, just make sure it is in the same format as the original
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok how can I send this to you
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
attach it here, should be a paperclip somewhere near the chat window
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So the workbook has two sheets. Sheet 1/Contact List 2015 has 30 lines. Sheet 2/Contact List 2016 has 35 lines. I want to separate the new contacts from the second sheet and be left with a list of the new contacts added in 2016
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please confirm receipt of Sample Data when received
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(And confirm that you fully understand my question).Thanks
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
so what columns do you want to compare to see which is new? Columns A and B?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no strict decision on this. You can use whichever columns you need in order to filter the date.Is it possible to use A, B & E (in case there is the event that someone has the same name i.e. ***** *****) but there should not be two people with the same name and same email address.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
yes The way I see it is that there is a couple of different ways this can be done. Option 1, create a new column on the 2nd sheet that puts the word "NEW" next to any that are new.Option 2, create a macro that will copy the new ones to a new sheet. Either way it will cost more to do this. I just wanted to give you all of the possible options
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok - Option 2 sounds better/more comprehensive but both options give same result do they??which is the quickest/ easiest and how much will it cost?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It needs to be something that when you send it me, I can then use it on my real data not sample data
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
option 2 is more involved and therefore more expensive. Also it is only compatible with excel 2007 on Windows option 1 will cost $99 totaloption 2 would cost $149 total in either event it would involve you copying and pasting either a formula to all the rows, or copying code to make it work with other data.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long would this take?
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
could have something by tomarrow. I am on EST and it is late where I am.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it is however a lot more expensive than the site suggested initially. Even the complex option in a short time was only 35 dollars but you are asking for 99-149 dollars.
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
what the site suggests in unrealistic. I have been doing this for over 20 years, Have a lot of experience with this sort of thing in excel. This is also how I make a living. I always find that there is also additional help needed, maybe helping you to copy and paste the formula, or to modify the macro code if necessary. Sometimes this requires remotely connecting to your computer to help you futher, or speaking on the phone. Sometimes there is additional troubleshooting if something goes wrong. This is all included in the price. Keep in mind, that once you have the code or formula, you would be able to use the same code again in the future to compare other lists that are in the same format. Only other option available to you is to manually go though and compare, but with 3000+ lines that sounds very time consuming to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appreciate what you're saying but I do not have that much money at the moment as I am in-between jobs - I only proceeded with the service due to the prices quoted so I will need to decline your service at this time due to cost. Thank you all the same. I am logging off now as 2am but will read any messages tomorrow AM (GMT). Many thanks
Expert:  The-PC-Guy replied 1 year ago.
if you change your mind you know how to reach me