Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

Years and years ago - in the Windows 3.5 version I think -

Years and years ago - in the Windows 3.5 version I think - when I used my photographs as a screen saver, the file-path was automatically added to the top of the screen shot, so that I, and more specifically other viewers, could see who, what and when the photograph was about, since I included these details in the file-path. Having spent a great deal of time with a Family Tree project, it would be very useful to have the option again. Is there any way that this function can be brought back?
Many thanks in anticipation!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.what is the windows version you have now and you have saved the photos on which format.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using Windows 10 - most, if not all, of my photographs are in.jpeg format
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please be aware that I am 80 and not used to a lot of technical jargon.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
not a problem sir i will try to make it as simple as possible. You want these photos to be viewed as a screen saver or you want to create a collage.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already have the photographs as a Screen Saver, which I have in continuous use - I just want to put the detail that I have on each file name to be added to the photograph as it is viewed - as it used to be many years ago! Just as an "aide-memoire" really.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not want to forget names, places etc., and this would help. (Incidentally I am female!)
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Name multiple pictures at onceUsing the same word or phrase, you can rename an entire group of pictures at once. Here's how:Open Windows Photo Gallery by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Photo Gallery.Hold down the CTRL key, and then click the pictures that you want to rename.Right-click the pictures, and then click Rename.In the Info pane, type the new name for that group of pictures in the name box.Each picture will be given the new name with a different sequential number, like this:Summer vacation 2005 (1), Summer vacation 2005 (2), Summer vacation 2005 (3), and so on.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Tag your pictures insteadGiving your pictures meaningful file names is the traditional way to organize them, but we don't usually think of pictures by name—we think of them by who is in the picture, where it was taken, or what we were doing at the time. Now you can attach tags to pictures to keep track of that kind of information. Tags are pieces of information that describe your pictures. You can create tags and add them to your pictures at any time, but we recommend adding them as soon as you have imported your pictures from your camera to your computer. Not only will you be more likely to tag your pictures if you do it right away, but the information about the pictures is still fresh in your mind, so you can tag them more accurately.Add a tag when you importYou can add your first tag to your pictures when you copy them to your computer by using the Importing Pictures and Videos dialog box. For example, if you are importing your summer vacation pictures, you can add a "Vacation 2006" tag. Then, when the pictures appear in Photo Gallery, each picture will contain that tag. You can always add more tags later.You can tag pictures using the Importing Pictures and Videos dialog boxAdd more tags at any timeYou can add tags to your pictures any time you have a few minutes and you're in the mood to organize your pictures.Open Windows Photo Gallery by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Photo Gallery.Click the picture that you want to add a tag to.In the Info pane, click Add Tags.Type the new tag, and then press ENTER
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Find pictures using tagsOnce you have added tags to your pictures, you can use the Search box to find them. If you want to find a picture you took at a birthday two years ago, for example, and you know that you added tags called "Birthday" and "Party" to those pictures, typeBirthday in the Search box. All of the pictures that have the word "Birthday" in the file name or in a tag will then be displayed. Or, click the Birthday tag in the Navigation pane to see only those files that have the Birthday tag applied to them.Here's another tip: If you click the Birthday tag and there are still too many pictures to sort through, type Party in the Search box. Now you'll only see the birthday pictures that also have the Party tag applied to them, which will reduce the number of pictures displayed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
This is how you can organize your photos.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
you may use windows live photo gallery as well check the link given belowhttp://digitalunite.com/guides/digital-photography/how-organise-photos
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I have upwards of 5,000 pictures - mostly older, re-scanned photos, none of these options would help - the time and effort involved would be too great. I didn't want to have to "re-name" every one, etc - just wanted the file path added to the screen shot. If there is no way of getting back to the older system (Windows 3.5, I think, as I had it in the late 1980's) I must thank you and forget about it!
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
windows 3.5 is windows NT please confirm the old operating system and the program you used on the old windows version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Absolutely no idea - I wasn't as computer savvy 40 years ago as I am now - which isn't much anyway! I would imagine that whatever was being used in the late 1980's would have the same options.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
do you have the old computer connected to the internet now so that i can remote connected and check what exactly it is on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - I have upgraded my computer many times since.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Here's the solution. Copy ssmypics.scr from your old computer to the Window 10 machine c:windows:system32 directory. The the old screensaver will be available in settings.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Copy the ssmypics.scr screen saver file from the Windows\System32 folder and move the file to your Windows 8 system. Place it in the same folder (If you are using the 64bit version of Windows 8, place the file in the Windows\SysWOW64 folder).If you do not have access to the file, you can download a copy from the following link.ssmypics.scrDownload the file to your Desktop.Right Click the file and select Properties.Click the Unblock button.If you wish, run a scan on the file with your antivirus software.Move the file to the proper folder. You can now go to Personalize/Screen Saver. The screen saver will show up as My Pictures Slideshow. Select the Settings button in the screen saver to see the options.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
This is the final answer to your question and it can be done when the above steps are performed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the old machine any more - (it would be over 30 years old and probably inoperable) - so I cannot copy anything over from it.
Thanks for your help - sorry that there is no answer to my problem. A new programme to cover this would be a favourite option, not just for me, but many others who have wanted a similar "fix" - you have only to read the "forums."
How about suggesting it to Microsoft?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but to get the old feature back on to your new windows 10 we would need the screensaver .scr file from the old computer, its like the photos you have transferred to save it to this new computer its the same way we need the .scr file from the old computer and paste it to the default screen saver file location then you can see the file data with the picture.