Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

My xp (old desktop) worked fine on Friday, tried to use it

my xp (old desktop) worked fine on Friday, tried to use it Saturday and it keeps flashing a red light and will not work. I love some of my XP programmes which do not work on Windows 8
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 11 months ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.let me know the problem a bit more in detail.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am not sure how this answer system works re sign in. I want just a one off answer I do not want to pay more than I already have. My computer is very old but I have on it programmes that do not work on windows 8. I used the computer on Friday, all okay. Went to turn it on yesterday and it just started flashing a red light where the normal green ON switch is. I have tried unplugging etc. but still only get the red flashing light. If this is not useable any more how do I get my work deleted in order to dispose of this old computer? I really loved the XP programme far more than Windows 7 or 8. Do you know any compatible with XP. Even my excellent printer will not work on Windows 7/8
Please tell me the make and model of the xp computer.
Please remember when we dealing with your issue. It is quite possible and may take more than one step or answer multiple times to solve a problem. In case the answer provided does not help or work dont be dissatisfied, use the Reply to expert or click on the “Continue Conversation” button and I will be happy to continue to help. Rating is only required when the problem is fixed or you are 100% Satisfied with the answer provided.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is a Compaq Presario 6000 - it has never given me any trouble until now. I use it mainly for photos cards and such.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Because I cannot open it at all I cannot delete or save anything on it.
unplug the power cable and the keyboard as well as the mouse and then you press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds,connect the keyboard and mouse and now the power cable and power it on please make sure the monitor is connected and powered on let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still flashing red light after switching on
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Only stops flashing red light when shut off at the main switch
Unplig the power cable from the computer and then you will have to remove the side covers and then remove the RAM the memory. let me know once its done.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cannot seem to get the side panel off and as I am a pensioner I will have to try and get somebody local to assist. I thought it would be something I could do via you but I am not technical enough to know what I am doing. I realise that my computer is old and was just trying to rescue some of my files from it. Thanks for you assistance so far. Do you think my computer is beyond help and how do I go about clearing all the data stored in it? Do you know of a computer still using XP as that is my preferred programme. Far better than Window 7 or 8
Dont worry maam i have an experience of more than 20 years in IT and i am very much familiar and experienced in xp operating system.To keep the data safe remove the hard driver and install it on the new computer and make the hard drive as an additional storage or backup drive to the new computer and you can ready and write and you do not have to give away or destroy the drive.
I hope I've provided the information you were seeking. If you have any question feel free to ask. Please provide a rating by clicking on the smiley face below or stars on top right of the page and hit submit. If you are unable to follow the steps i gave feel free to ask or reply me so that i can continue to help you answer you question further. Thank you.
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors