Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Canon LEGRIA HF R66How do I make wi-fi connect work with

Canon LEGRIA HF R66
How do I make wi-fi connect work with Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo? I notice the Remote control+Streaming/Menu items are greyed out. I have downloaded CameraAccess Plus App but we still cannot handshake!
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com.Just so i understand what you are trygin to do.......you want to connect wirelessly, your phone, and your camera? Is that correct?And what is your goal? I mean...why are you trying to connect the 2 together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi QS, it is an advertised feature of the Legria HF R66 to be able to control/ view the camcorder remotely. That is one of the reasons I bought this model. I video lectures for a society and need to control 2 cameras from one position.
okay, gotchya....and thank you for the info..Give me just a second or two to pull the tech manuals.
okay, im gonna throw out some suggestions, to see if it helps......troubleshooting is a process of elimination, and each step of the way narrows down closer and closer.Here comes your first suggestion, and its just a snip of the manual, showing you where the Wifi antenna is. Have a look.
im checking for other solutions
I think you will want your router to be on......and it will be easier to work with than your phone..YOu shoudl create a NEW WIFi network on the router.......and leave it OPEN, meaning no password.Then connect the camcorder and the phone to that network.
This should get them on the same IP network.
Essentially thats the whole issue.....they just need to be on the same network.....doesnt matter if its wireless or not......the IP address's of the devices need to be on same network..Anyways.....do you know how to create a new WiFi network on the router?
unless you have already tried this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the ideas. The Super Hub password ***** ***** to give me access at present. I assumed that the camcorder NFC point was where phone should be placed. Now to try the wi-fi antenna point.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I don't know how to create a wifi network on the router. It would be handy if it let me log in with a password. The Canon manual pg 173 seems to suggest NFC point is where you tap the devices together. Samsung Galaxy S5 NFC antenna is behind the back plate as far as I can see.
yeah but only Android versions 4.0 through 4.4 work for NFC. your on android version 5.Look for that in the manual....i forget what page it says this. But its a starred note
its because the camcorder doesnt update its software, so it will only interface with NFC android version 4.I thought about that too....although it wouldnt hurt to try it i suppose..Best way i have found to ever connect anythign is using its OWN wifi network, so that those are the only 2 devices o that network. And that the network is open, so the encryption portion doesnt add that extra layer of complexity.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a nightmare getting things to talk to each other! That starred note page would be useful. Is there no way to update cam software?
Sorry for the delay in answering.....Well EASY is a relative term....it all depends on your level of technical know-how.....RIGHT?With that said.....they tried to make it regular people friendly, but not all companies do this well....and it leads to issues.YOur questions......im gonna find that starred page for you (coming up soon)and....the cam software im looking into as well. But i assure you the process of updating woudl probably be harder than conneting your phone to it. Especially since if you do it wrong, you can turn your cam into a paperweight.....know what i mean?
Heres that Starred note i was talking about.
The ability to update the Cam's software (which is called Firmware) does NOT look possible.Or atleast they do not list a way to do it, for a customer to be able to..I looked all through theUserGuide (bout 300 pages) then the Technical Manual (about 1000 pages mostly exploded views) and NO WHERE does it say give instructions to UPDATE the Internal Camera Firmware.So....unfortunately, its not possible with THIS particular camera.Other cameras i KNOW can.....as i have DONE IT.....but they were $5,000 cameras and some were even over $20k.SO it looks like these lower-end consumer camera's do NOT let folks change the firmware.HOWEVER, I'm sure theres a way.....but its not Friendly, or really worth it....and could result in broken camera. Not worth the risk..Also, i was reading that the camera will NOT connect to the computer software if the Cameras DATE and TIME are not set correctly.So make sure to check that.
Quiksilver07070, Consultant
Experience: Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some great research Quicksilver. I have requested help from Canon, but not holding breath. Seems the easy answer is to find an old Smartphone which works on Android v4, and dedicate it to the Camera control job, provided I can download the CameraAccess software and it will run! Ebay here I come??
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very successful outcome. Canon replied and it seems we missed the vital page 179 of instructions: "This function is not available in the following cases.
- When the video quality is 50P.
- When dual recording or relay recording is activated."
The latter setting was preventing the program running! Wifi is now working. Thanks for your help!