Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

Have had Windows 10 couple of moths with no problem.

Have had Windows 10 for a couple of moths with no problem. Now getting message 'critical error - your start menu is not working' rebooting does not solve it, so having to use an iPad to get through to you. Help! Chris Goddard
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
:HI Chris. My name is***** you for your question and the opportunity to assist.Does the computer have and internet connection now such that I would be able to connect to it remotely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, albeit I cannot get on line because the start up menu has not worked. Am not an expert so you may well tell me that it dies not need it. Chris
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Try this first. From the desktop screen, hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R.The Run box will open.In the text area type: rstrui.exe and click OK.System Restore will open. Click Next.:You should then see a list of restore dates.Select one before the start menu issue began and click Next.On the next page click Finish and the restore will begin.This will set the Windows system files back to the working state theywere in on the date selected. This will not affect your files.Once the restore has completed let me know if the start menu is now working.If it is not there are more options to try.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only restore date shown is today and I had the fault since 25th so do I still press ?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
No. Restart the machine so that you are at the login screen, but don't log in.I'll type up some more instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Am now on the initial screen with view through rocks, time and date
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
We'll start with the easy stuff:Get to your login screen where you type your passwordHold the Shift key down and click the Power icon in the lower right corner and select Restart.Release the Shift key when you see "Please Wait"Once you are within the Windows Recovery Environment, select Troubleshoot, then Advanced options, then Startup Settings, and Restart.When it restarts, you should see a number of options. Press 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with networking.Once you sign into your account in Safe Mode, you’re done. Just restart your PC to return to a normal boot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Silly question, how do I get out of the safe mode screen ?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Right-click on the start menu button and select Shut down or sign out>>Restart
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry about this, but still have the same 'critical' message
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Ok. If the start menu button works in safe mode (where only windows components are running) it means something installedon your PC is causing this and it's likely your anti-virus program. What are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
McAffee
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Press the following keys on your keyboard Ctrl then Alt then Deleteand open Task Manager from the list.Click the Startup tab from the horizontal list at the top.Locate McAfee and select it and click Disable and restart the computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, still got 'critical,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not loaded any new programmes in last month
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I'm typing more instructions. Give me a few minutes.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Hold down the Windows key and press R again. In the Run box type: ms-settings: (include the colon)From the Settings window click Accounts.click Family & Other Usersclick Add Someone else to this PCclick "I don't have this person's information"click Add a User Without a Microsoft AccountCreate a username, type a password ***** create twice and createa password ***** and click Next.Click the new account from the list and click Change Account Type andchange the type to Administrator and click OK.Log off the machine and log in as the new administrative user.I've made an offer to do this for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After clicking family and other users I got message (in red) ' we could not connect to Microsoft family. did someone else did not respond at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should read Add someone else
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean that when you click "Add someone else to this PC", it's not responding?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Scroll up this page and using the instructions above start the computer in Safe Mode with Networking andsee if you can create the account that way. If it's still not working we'll need to reset the computerusing the Keep my Files option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure how you mean create the account that way, I am in the safe mode screen showing all of the programme tiles
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I did mean in Safe Mode.Hold down the Windows key and press RIn the Run box type: ms-settings: and click OK.Then open Accounts.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Get message this app cannot be opened using the built in administrator account, sign in with a different account
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Crap. That's something in Windows 8 and 10.When you log in normally are you still able to use the Search function?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am in Windows 10, no I cannot use the search function, just get the message ' start message isn't working
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
In normal mode, press the Windows key and R.Type: ms-settings: and click OKClick Update & SecurityClick RecoveryUnder Reset this PCclick Get Startedand choose Keep my Files
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have got to the screen 'your apps will be removed
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Cancel out of that. There's one more thing that may be available.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
First, I need to ask: Does that computer have an internet connection?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now back to update & security screen
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
If you hover your mouse cursor over the Network/Wi-fi icon to the left of the clockdoes the pop up message tell you there is internet access?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - Network 5 Internet access
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Ok. On the update & security page click Windows Update at the top of the listand check for updates, if that option is available?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes - says the device is up to date last checked at 16.22 today
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Before we get drastic with the reset uninstall McAfee. You can download it again later.Hold the Windows key and press R. In the text area type: appwiz.cpland click OK.Locate McAfee from the list, select it and click Uninstall at the top of the column.Restart the computer and check if start is working.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, still the same- start menu is not working
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Did you try creating a new user account in both Safe Mode and normal mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No normal mode would not let me, did not know how to in safe mode
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
In Safe Mode do you see this icon (see attachment, I hope it opens on the iPad)If you do, click it and select All Settings. If you can open Settings you can get to Accounts
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, the icon is not there
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Well, start machine up normally and log in.Hold down the Windows key and press RType: ms-settings: and click OKClick Update & SecurityClick RecoveryUnder Reset this PCclick Get Startedand choose Keep my FilesNothing else is working. There's severe file corruption on the computer.It's so bad even the repair tools can't be used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have done as you listed, now in the resetting mode (8 per cent), assume it will take a while. In the old days you would just reload the disc but everything from on-line it can't be done. And with no literature and not being able to access the start-up I would have been totally stuffed without access to an iPad.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
It shouldn't take but 30 minutes, approximately.You'll need to re-install some programs but this willfix any file corruption.
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks for all of the time you spent - really appreciated. If you are ever in South West Scotland there is a beer waiting for you. Regards ***** *****
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Will do. Thank you Chris.