Dan
Dan, Network Administrator
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I have on old SDR-S15 video camera with VideoCamSuite 2.0 on

Customer Question

I have on old SDR-S15 video camera with VideoCamSuite 2.0 on DVD. I recently tried uploading the software onto my new HD laptop, which runs Windows 10, and had to download a free driver to make VCS work. However although the program is now running on my laptop, and apparently transferring videos from my camera, with a visible thumbnail still shot, they will not play - I get the error message "14-E-1" every time. I've tried using Microsoft compatibility troubleshooter and restarting the laptop several times, also tried using Microsoft toubleshooter to re-set the program's settings to Windows 7, to no effect. Very frustrating. I read the following incomprehensible 'solution' on a blog: "when you install you software you have to set the same VIDEO SYSTEM that your camera. Select NTSC." I don't know what this means, and don't dare uninstalling the program just to see if some 'video system' prompt thing comes up in case it doesn't, then I'll have to start from scratch again. Do you have any solutions please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. Please check the software to make sure it is set to the same video format the camera is shooting video in. Both should be set for NTSC.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, I had to go to a talk this evening and it's now 10pm in the UK so I'll sort this out tomorrow. My follow-up question then is - how do I do that? Can't find that in the product manual! Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I believe the only way to change it is to reinstall the software. To check the format, Select “About VideoCam Suite 2.0” from question mark at the top right of the main window, and check the TV system.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan, I tried that, when I click the question mark > about, I get a dialog box saying VideoCamSuite 2.0, 2.00.044.1033(PAL), then the copyright info. That's it. & do you know how I check what format the camera is filming in? As I said I can't find that information in the handbook - it says stuff about the 'recording media' being FAT 12, 16 & 32 format corresponding but that's all I could find. Any ideas? Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Where you see 1033(PAL) is what you don't want. The camera, if purchased in the US, will be NTSC format and I doubt you can change that. You will need to reinstall the VideoCam Suite and make sure you install the NTSC version. That will correct your problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan. Ok, I uninstalled, reinstalled, found the setting in the installation to change the program from the UK default to NTSC, and....now it's telling me when I click 'import to PC' that 'cannot be worked as the TV system has a different image'. Previously it was importing the data & showing the thumbnail. ...fyi my VideoCamSuite CD wouldn't set up on this laptop, so I had to go to the Panasonic website & use their update to set up - dunno if that makes any difference. Near as I can tell it's properly installed. Here's the update link I used: av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/download/vcs20ee_w7.html
Thanks. I do appreciate your help!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Is there a letter after the model number?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, no, it's just an SDR-S15 camera. A sticker on the base of the camera says S15EB-S, and on the line below A9HL00004, whatever that signifies! Thanks
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
When you import the video, are you using the Panasonic cable that came with the camera? If you are and still having a problem, try removing the SD card from the camera and insert it directly into your PC, provided there is a port for it. Let me know how you come out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, thanks for your messages, I'm not an unhappy customer, I've just had a busy social weekend and have a full-on week of work ahead seeing patients & teaching. My next day to review this will be, most likely, in a week's time - I just don't have the hours right now to set aside and get to the bottom of this. But I need to, because the videos are for a fundraiser for a clinical trial- and I've just been told I may be made redundant this summer, so I'm not buying a new one! So I'll be back!! Thank you for your persistence & diligence.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Not to worry Marcos; I realize how busy one's schedule can be. You may be prompted from time to time to take some action, but that is just an automated response. Just get back to me when you can so we can figure this out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan - I finally had a couple of hours this afternoon to sit down and experiment, and tried your suggestion of putting the SD card directly into the laptop (I dodn't even know you could do that!), and now I can watch the video on my PC, that's excellent, also saved as MP4. Two problems still - the lesser is that the file still isn't opening in VideoCamSuite, it shows the thumbnail but won't open. I say it's the lesser issue because I'm thinking I may just scrap the program and download a different video editor to circumvent the problem. The larger issue is that while it plays fine in VLC, in Media Player and all other players it's a silent movie. I googled it and came across lots of sites trying to sell dodgy 'conversion' software (99% sure this is unnecessary), and some techie advice about 'codecs' which I couldn't follow at all - I understand the principle, that video files will have 'codecs' (codes?!) to enable the computer to play the audio or video or whatever, and some payers can't read this files audio 'codec'. So my question is how do I make the audio play on standard windows media player - what do I need to do? Because I'm thinking if I try uploading this file to YouTube it probably won't have audio. Also if there's some good free or cheap downloadable video editing software you know of that would do that automatically, bonus... Thanks for your help, finally getting there, 50% closer now!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Well start with this LINK. This is an extremely useful codec pack used by the pros, so even if it isn't helpful now, it most likely will be in the future. As far as free editing software, I am afraid you would be disappointed! Pinnacle, and Adobe are two of the power houses and are widely used in the professional industry. There is a new one from Cyberlink that I am not familiar with but looks good as well. Do your research when you check these out to make sure they will do what you need them to do, and don't hesitate to ask if I can assist further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan, thanks for your help! This is my last question on this issue I hope. I just downloaded the audio codec package and the video now plays with audio in Windows Media Player and in LAN audio player, but not in the Windows 10 'TV & Movies' automatic player - previously, it only played in LAN, so this is a definite improvement. I also bought the Pinnacle Studio 19 program you linked to and Uninstalled VideoCam Suite, but unfortunately the video plays as a silent movie in the editor, no sound, so it appears I dropped £60 on editing software which has exactly the same issue as the old software; I'm hoping the software will prove to be more user-friendly because while I knew my way around the old one (in a very basic, 'cut and paste' sort of way) I have to learn how to use this one from scratch. Do you have any suggestions as to what I must do to enable audio on this video in the Pinnacle Studio 19 program. I have emailed their tech support too. btw I do appreciate your help on this, you have been very constructive and helpful throughout so even though I'm annoyed for having deleted my old program before buying this new one I realise it's just trying stuff out til it works, and once this issue is fixed hopefully it won't recur!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Is there any chance you can attach a small clip of the file you are working with? I am curious as to why Pinnacle won't play the audio. That program is usually pretty safe when it comes to editing, and when you run into something like this, it is simply a matter of downloading the proper codec to make it work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan, I've attached a clip. As I said it's now playing normally/with audio in VLC (not LAN, I was getting my acronyms mixed up) & Windows Media Player, but without audio in the automatic 'Films & TV' player on Windows 10, and of course the same in Pinnacle. What's weird is that this short clip - but not the original video - now plays fine (with audio) in 'Films & TV' but doesn't show up in the Pinnacle 'Import' window, whereas the original full-length file *does* show up in Pinnacle but *doesn't* play with audio! I made the clip using the VLC recording facility, after realising that the whole file was too big to send you and looking up how to do it, thinking that I could just use that to edit it, because really I just want to be able to crop the video (I just need to clip 4 seconds of the video from the beginning and the end, to get rid of the first two seconds of incoherent stuttering and the awkward lean-in-to-turn-off-camera bit at the end), but unfortunately whenever I pause the frame-by-frame and press 'record' in VLC it always cuts off the first 6 seconds and misses the beginning of the intro - it doesn't seem to want to start recording before 5 minutes in. But I guess now I own a video editor I should be able to use it!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PS it's a compressed [zi[p] filed .ts file. VLC saved it in that format, I couldn't change it, and I could only add it here if I compressed it first, hope it still works!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I will take a look at it as soon as I can. If you really want to jump into editing, take a look at Edius. This is one of several editing packages the pros use as well as Pinnacle and Final Cut.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dan. Much respect, but I'm not going to pay for another editing program on the off chance that the audio *might* play in it. I'm sure the solution should now be in my hands without having to buy any more kit - after all if the video is playing fine in two main players on the laptop now, it seems it probably is a codec issue (because the audio only started playing in Windows Media Player after I downloaded the free codec package you linked to).Although this isn't my area, I'm reluctant to buy more stuff without first identifying the problem. If it helps, the audio codec info listed in the VLC player for the file is MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mp4a), sample rate 44100Hz & 128 kb/s bitrate [whatever that means].
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
By no means would I want you to. Besides, the Edius program would cost several hundred dollars!! I just meant it to be a reference for you to look over while we are trying to figure this out.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Here is a good tool to have in your bag of tricks. This may help you figure out how the file was originally edited. LINK
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
After checking your clip with Media Info, I found it is formatted in PAL rather than NTSC. Was that your intention? That is most likely causing some problems with playback?