Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have an old Panasonic Camcorder NV-GS15 and am trying

Customer Question

Hi I have an old Panasonic Camcorder NV-GS15 and am trying to download some old footage onto my iMac Final Cut X via a usb port. The file format is AVCHD I have downloaded various software Wondershare, ClipWrap, free AVCHD to Mov plus a couple of others which I have since deleted. I have tried opening it in the latest copy of iMovie, that does not work neither does Quicktime. I would really appreciate any help you can give.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephanie, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Were you able to download the movie file onto your Mac but unable to play the file?Or you were not able to download or copy the movie file from your camcorder to your Mac?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jess, The memory card for the photos shows up in Finder as No Name and the photographs come up straight away in iPhoto. I click on to No Name and the following folders show in the next column: DCIM, MISC, PRIVATE. I click on to PRIVATE and in the next column appears AVCHD and VTF. If I click on to the AVCHD Quicktime appears with a message the operation could not be completed. I have tried to import the AVCHD into Final Cut Express, Final Cut X and IMovie but although AVCHD can be seen it is only faint and therefore cannot be imported/opened. I have tried adding .mov this then breaks the file down and shows the word STREAM which normally would then show the files as MTS but there is nothing in STREAM.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologies I should have signed off.
Stephanie
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thank you Stephanie for writing back with that information. To check if the file is a video file, can you please tell me the size of one of the files that you think is a video file there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AVCHD file is 642 bytes. I know there is film on the tape because I can watch it on play back on the camcorder.
Stephanie
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. Did you connect your camcorder directly to your Mac? or only the SDHC card?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
If you connect your camcorder to your Mac, make sure that you set the camcorder to PC ON mode. When successful, the SDHC card inside the camera will mount on the desktop as a No Name Volume.Then wait if iMovie prompts to import the movie detected in the camera.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi sorry for the delay in replying but my friend rang. No iMovie does not detect the camera when I plug in/switch on. I am using a usb rather than a fire wire as the new macs don't seem to accommodate one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The camcorder is on PC mode and the screen on the camcorder says PC ACCESSING
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Please copy the PRIVATE folder and paste it inside your desktop. Then see if iMovie detects the movie clips inside the folders there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok will do
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have copy and pasted the fold PRIVATE on to the desktop, iMovie did not open automatically so I opened in manually. I clicked on to import movie I can see the PRIVATE folder and the VTF folder but the AVCHD is faded out.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Can you please tell me the size of your AVCHD as shown there? If it contains movie clips then it should have some reasonable size.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The AVCHD file is 642 bytes although I have clicked on AVCHD info and the size is 677 bytes (16 KB on disk)
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
I believe it is a corrupt file or a shortcut to a bigger file. AVCHD are reasonably sized files since inside them are video clips.Can I remotely access your computer so that I can directly check and help you locate your video files while you watch your screen?Remote access is an optional additional service offer with a minimal one-time flat fee ($10) regardless of how long it will take me to fix the problem. We can resume any time without additional cost. It is safe as you will be watching your screen and we can chat right there, and it will be a faster mode of help.Please let me know if you want this remote option.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that would be ok
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your permission to do remote access. I will now send the formal additional service offer of remote access. Please accept it so that I can create our remote session. After accepting it, you will then receive the procedures to join me in the remote session.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What next?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for accepting my additional service offer of remote access so that I can help you directly in fixing your problem. For me to remote in, we need a remote access tool. Since you are using Mac, our ScreenConnect tool will not work, so we will use JoinMe. Please follow the steps below to join me in the remote session.1. Please click on this link:https://join.me/2. In that page, please click on the orange "Start meeting" button3. Then download the remote tool when prompted.4. After downloading, double click on the downloaded file to run the remote access tool to join me in the remote session.5. Then share your screen and then give me the 9-digit code that you will see in the small JoinMe window. I will be waiting for the 9-digit code.Thank you. If you are stuck in any of the steps, please let me know so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It says the screen is being shared 816-814-204
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I will connect now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just to let you know the problem has not as yet been resolved as I am waiting to receive an adaptor from Amazon. I will let you know how I get on when I have received it.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi,Thank you for writing back. Yes, please take your time and we can resume with the remote session any time when you have the adaptor from Amazon.Best regards,Jess