Jason Jones
Jason Jones, Computer Expert
Experience:  Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I have a simple HP laptop. After 15 seconds of logging on

Customer Question

I have a simple HP laptop. After 15 seconds of logging on each time the cursor freezes.
I have tried closing down and restarting but the same thing keeps happening.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am the person that will be helping you today. Please, follow the instructions below:- Turn the computer off- Remove all usb devices from the computer- Turn the computer on- Start pressing the F8 key on the top of the keyboard- At the Boot menu, choose Safe Mode- Hit the Enter key three times Once Windows loads in Safe Mode, do the following:- Hold both of the two following keys at the same time: Windows Key and the letter R[/b key- In the box that comes up, type the following and click OK: rstrui- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.- Your computer will restart and your issue will be gone. I look forward to your next message below or your rating on the top of this page (choosing of number of Stars and clicking the Submit button)Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.Thank you again, - Jason P.S. If you do not know the answers to any of my questions or are confused about something, please let me know by replying on this page.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jason,
As I said it is a simple HP laptop so I don't have an F8key!
All laptops have an F8 key. Look on the top of the keyboard.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Of course! sorry.
But cursor freezes before I can continue after pressing window key and the R key
You were able to boot into Safe Mode, but it still froze?
Please, follow the instructions below:- Turn the computer off- Remove all usb devices from the computer- Turn the computer on- Start pressing the F8 key on the top of the keyboard- At the Boot menu, choose Safe Mode- Hit the Enter key three times Once Windows loads in Safe Mode, do the following:- Hold both of the two following keys at the same time: Windows Key and the letter R key- In the box that comes up, type the following and click OK: rstrui- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.- Your computer will restart and your issue will be gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ignorance again - What is safe mode?
Follow my instructions, please. After you press F8, choose "Safe Mode" and press enter.Please, follow the instructions below:- Turn the computer off- Remove all usb devices from the computer- Turn the computer on- Start pressing the F8 key on the top of the keyboard- At the Boot menu, choose Safe Mode- Hit the Enter key three times Once Windows loads in Safe Mode, do the following:- Hold both of the two following keys at the same time: Windows Key and the letter R key- In the box that comes up, type the following and click OK: rstrui- Choose to Restore to an earlier time > Click Next.- Choose a date at least one week before you started experiencing your problem.- Click NEXT > NEXT > NEXT.- Your computer will restart and your issue will be gone.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't get a boot menu after pressing f8
Okay. If you don't tell me that, I don't know that it didn't come up. So turn the computer off. Turn the computer on and immediately start tapping the F8 key. You may have to press Fn and F8 at the same time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As soon as I switch on It asks for my password. No amount of F8 ing Fn ing seems to work
That is news to me. What kind of password ***** ***** asking for? Is it the Windows password ***** another type of password? Please, understand that the only way that I know something is going on is if you tell me because I am not there with you and cannot see your monitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Getting more confused. Thank you for your time
I am sorry for the confusion. When you turn your computer on, what kind of password ***** it ask for? Is it asking you to log into Windows or is it some other type of password?