Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Done as suggested, and Kindle has opened up normally. But

Done as suggested, and Kindle has opened up normally. But has the word: 03-2016 Update required' Amazon.
Am I right in presuming I still need the software update before this update it pursued?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
H thee and welcomeCan you tell me which model Kindle you have please?Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying.My Kindle is a keyboard model (era 2010) and its serial number is ***** A0A0 1083 0CUB.I am not sure which software I have to download on it in order to update my Kindle enough to take the
required 03-2016 update. If you can guide me through this phase I would be grateful.David
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks David,It all depends on what level your Kindle is at, but there is a very clear and detailed guide on the procedure which you can follow herehttp://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200529700I am still here, so let me know please how you go with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I tell what level my Kindle is at? It's good to know that there is a 'very clear and detailed guide on the procedure' but my experience shows those words can't be applied to anything Amazon does.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, it is part of the guide, but as I mentioned, I am here to clear anything up.From Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings. You will see the current software version at the bottom of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right, I'm there on Settings. That's where I got the serial number from. Now what?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You get the current software version at the bottom of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I do not understand your response David, what do you me with So?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already been to where the serial number is. What I now need to know is what software to I have to download to bring it up to the state where I can download the critical software that must be downloaded today.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
David, I am not talking or even mentioning about Serial number, I am talking about software versionFrom Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings. You will see the current software version at the bottom of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My current version is: Kindle 3.4(###) ###-####.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, so now you know the version, you can complete the instructions accordingly on the linkhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelgi?nodeId=200529700Let me know how you go please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Presumably I take the first option to 3.4.2.
If so, many thanks for your guidance, Richard. I'll get back to you after I download.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Correct, as you have 3.4, you then apply 3.4.2 with the link on that page.Let me know how you go please
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
How are you going with the upgrade David?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Richard:
Thanks for replying.
My Kindle is a keyboard model (era 2010) and its serial number is ***** A0A0 1083 0CUB.
I am not sure which software I have to download on it in order to update my Kindle enough to take the required 03-2016 update. If you can guide me through this phase I would be grateful.
David
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No problem, this is the link to the exact file for youhttp://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/Update_kindle_3.4.1_3.4.2_B00A.binThen the steps here to install ithttp://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201177360I can do the computer side of it and step you through the kindle but if you wish as an added service. I made the offer, so let me know if you wish to take advantage of it please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiya, Richard:I do rate your service as five star. Excellent, in other words.I did fill in another enquiry (I am sure it was from your office) last night and gave you the same rating. I also criticised Amazon’s lack-lustre service. A) I have never been able to communicate with their Customer Support,
whenever something has gone wrong. B) They don’t appear to have an email address, where you can contact a human being. All they recommend is their lousy website, which rarely has been a help to me, because there
is always one question raised that you can’t get answered.In my particular case yesterday I needed to increase my Kindle rating from a 3 to a 3.1 or 3.2 in order to download the critical software which was available only until yesterday. Early this morning, it was still a 3.1. A few
moments ago it reached 3.4, but I’ve lost the chance to download the update my Kindle so that I can subscribe to more books. I really shouldn’t have bothered: Amazon have proved themselves to be rubbish on probably every
occasion I’ve used them.Nevertheless, thanks for your help.Regards,David