Michelle
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
26798893

I need - pelase - someones help ASAP - please. my cat

Customer Question

hello, i need - pelase - someones help ASAP - please.
my cat walked on my keyboard while my PC was loading (true story!), my PC lost the colours so could not use powerpoint, nor font colour, etc, tried every thing but nothing worked. Then I decided to do some PC maintenance and re-installed PC to its initial default - i backed up some files but not all of them..... Now re-booted my PC but NOTHING is on it, no Words, no Excel, no nothing and NO FILES = desperation.
Is there a way i can retrieve my Words and Excel files? Please help, I'd be most grateful
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problemDid you reinstall windows operating system?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, i am not a "tecky" person - please be patient! what's windows operating system, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what i did i went into "start" then clicked on "maintenance" then chose something like "revert to default"
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Dont worry i will be paient. Does it have windows 8 or windows 10?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you are goint to like me..... i am not so modern! it has Windows 7 home premium
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i believe you didnt use a disk to ran a factory restore?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, did not use a disk,
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
I can check your computer using a secure remote access if the windows can be reverted or not however secure remote is an additional service howeve that will help a lot to identify the problem and will let you know if it can be fixed online.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please inform costs
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
It will be proposed $18 only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there, please??
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
yes please i have sent you the remote link proposal accept it and i will get a remote link to give you and we can get connected and then i can check all the possibilities.
Michelle, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: B.Sc. Computer Science with Honors
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, i accepted it, sorry i did not see the link before - do i stay on this now?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i will give you a remote link now please wait.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=224af052-0cb5-4876-8ca7-910700c64ecbSecure Remote AssistanceAfter you click it will open a page click on the green "I Agree" button.Download and run the Elsinore screen connect.Allow it to install and let it be opened.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, downloaded
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i am connected use the remote chat to communicate.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Customer Hi this is Michelle and i am connectedmichelleclive: give me 2 mins i will be online with you.Guest: okmichelleclive: himichelleclive: may i take the mouse controlGuest: okmichelleclive: okGuest: the status informs "messages received" = 53 but i have not seen themmichelleclive: Which status infoGuest: of the screen connect, where i am typing nowmichelleclive: ok nevermind its the conenction bits it showsmichelleclive: what did you do can you tell me speicificallymichelleclive: you did not reinstall the osmichelleclive: can you show me the steps you didGuest: 1 = click on startmichelleclive: you do i can see your screenGuest: that's what i didmichelleclive: which option did you select heremichelleclive: okmichelleclive: when did you run the restore?michelleclive: yesterday or today?Guest: this morningmichelleclive: ok thanks.michelleclive: This is what you ran?Guest: yesmichelleclive: you have restored the computer to a factory restore which has overwritten the windows os and it has been like the first day you got.michelleclive: you have lost all the installed programs however i can check and install the hardweare drivers so that the computer keeps working without a problem.michelleclive: you must be having Microsoft Office disk or online link to install if you have purchased earlier and has been used.Guest: ok, i appreciate that but, the most important: is what about the files? are they all lost or will i be able to retrieve them?michelleclive: Running system to factory recovery erases all your saved data if they were saved in a different location like D: or a flash drive or an external hdd then you might have those files however if not then its parmanently deleted.michelleclive: i can check if they are thereGuest: i believe all files were on C: - yes, please check if there is a miracle!michelleclive: I am sorry sir it has been completely wiped off.michelleclive: i can check the device drivers that i can fix if anything is required to be updated.Guest: is there anything i can do to retrieve the files? Can i take the hardware to a store, for example?michelleclive: your computer device drivers are all goodmichelleclive: I am sorry to say but when you run a factory restore it overwrites the system partition there will be no use takeing it to a data recovery service they will charger you about $400 and will return the harddisk without any recovery my personal experience i am sharing it will be a waste of time and money with no result.Guest: thank you for your advice - one more thing, please, the way it started just after the cat walked on the keyboard: the screen & software all lost their "red" so, for example, if i wanted to write with a red font I was unable to do so - before i erased every thing i tried to change screen, change theme, etc but nothing workedGuest: then Windows asked for me to DISABLE DESTOP WINDOW MANAGER but again, it did not work, the screen is a "greenish" colour and no red, even now when i write to you - how can we repair this, pleasemichelleclive: is the screen still greenish?michelleclive: but i see the screen okmichelleclive: with perfect hp logomichelleclive: it has a monitor attached correct?Guest: yes, very greensih - please look at the ebay logo, for example, no redmichelleclive: i see the color is perfectly ok does this computer have a monitor attached?Guest: what's a moniter, please?michelleclive: ist a laptop correct?Guest: no, it's my main PCmichelleclive: that is what i wanted to know the pc has a monitor attached is that correctmichelleclive: monitor is the screenGuest: yes, sure it has a screenGuest: but if you look at the Microsoft logo = no redmichelleclive: check the cable on both ends which is loose at any end pc or monitor endmichelleclive: make sure it inserted and tightmichelleclive: the color will be goodmichelleclive: unplug and replug the video cable to both ends pc and monitor will fix the color problem.Guest: you are right, one of the cable was loose... what do i do now?! cry or kill the cat???michelleclive: good the colore issue if fixed.michelleclive: i am sorry but i told you what factory restore does. Try saving any data on an external drive or on D: drive which get saved and no data is lost if the windows crashes.\
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Guest: I made a very expensive and painful mistake but thank you for your help
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Customer I am sorry about that but that is the fact and i have shared my years of experience i have so in future try to save data on an external drive.michelleclive: i will end the remote session now do you have any more question for me?Guest: no, thank you - good byemichelleclive: Thanks for using our service. Have a good day ahead.