Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I upgraded to Windows 10 on a Sony Vaio I dragged the Windows

I upgraded to Windows 10 on a Sony Vaio
I dragged the Windows Fax and Scan from the All Apps list (from which it disappeared)to make an icon on the desktop.
The scanning function from the Canon MG4200 does not work any more when I open the icon (the printer is fine and I don't use the fax facility)
Any solutions pls?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Arch and welcomeWhat error do you get when you try to scan?And are you connected to the scanner via a cable or wireless?Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cable which is OK for printing
The error is - I opt for new scan - select documents - press scan - and nothing happens
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket). Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will let you know in 10 (but I have tried switching off but not for 10 min already)
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change I'm afraid!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you connect it to a different USB port on the computer then try to scan, let me know if it then scans please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to Devices and printers.Disconnect printer from computerRight click on the printer and select remove device.Once done, restart the computerInstall the printer like you did when you first received it and tell me if it now scans please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will I not lose connection to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I will be here waiting so you can return to this page when done please.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have bookmarked the page so I should get back to you?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well - removal and reinstallation of printer seems to have worked! I shoud have tried it but have become obsessed with niggles re new Win10!!!
EG I downloaded a chess app from the Microsoft store which just disappeared without trace when I paid for no adverts
Thanks anyway
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your most welcome!If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit Thank you