Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

My wifes MacAir has suddenly shown the message: BSOD: DmgRegisterServer

My wifes MacAir has suddenly shown the message: BSOD: DmgRegisterServer failed with error code: 0x80040201. What does it mean? What should she do?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Max, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about the issues. This is associated with a malware infection on your system. Are you still able to use the computer despite the error? Is the error only affecting your web browsers like Safari?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Finder works and I just opened and closed Word for Mac
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for writing back with that information. This is indeed a malware that hijacked your Safari browser. Please do the following:Choose Force Quit from the Apple menuClose SafariOpen Safari again but this time with the Shift key held down. That is, press and hold the Shift key while opening the Safari browser.If the message reappears, redo steps 1 through 3 for 3 to 4 times and see if the BSOD prompt is gone.Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Jess. I did as you asked and Safari has opened without any error message. I've gone on to a few different sites and all seems OK.
Max
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Max for writing back. I am glad that it is working now.Please remember to rate my service positively (3-5 stars/faces) if this helped. Tips are always highly appreciated!If you need further assistance, please do not rate me negatively with 1 or 2 faces. Instead, please reply to me so that I can help you further.Thank you!Best regards,Jess