Byron
Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ MCSE with over 12 years experience.
13274453

Kindle Version 4.1.3(###) ###-####. Can you please give me

Kindle Version 4.1.3(###) ###-####. Can you please give me the link to the critical update for this version for me to download via USB to get my wifi back?
Many thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=ya_kindle_sb_swupdates?nodeId=200529680&_encoding=UTF8&ref_=ya_kindle_sb_swupdates
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This link does not deal with Version: Kindle 4.1.3...?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Amazon make a lot of Kindle models.I need to be able to positively identify your model.From the page at the link below, can you tell me what you have:http://www.oberondesign.com/pages/identify-your-kindle-model
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Model No: DO1100
Version: Kindle 4.1.3.(2692310002)
Serial No: B00E 1501 1457 OS8U
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that. Most helpful.I found what you need on this page:http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710Yours is the Kindle 4th Generation (2011)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done the updates individually, but to no avail. It would appear that many others are having the same problem. Everything downloads/uploads, but unsuccessful. Downloads are in Adobe format: could that be the problem?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
The software update is a file that has the extension .binHave you watched the video on the download page:https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710#GUID-87EF466F-452A-4015-A753-FE062B233316
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have watched the video. Tried once more. Failed - UPDATE ERROR: 3....?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I see what you mean about others having the same issue.All I can suggest is holding down the power button for 45 secondsthen powering the Kindle back on and trying the update again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no joy. Tried it twice. Update Your Kindle remains greyed out..! Are Amazon aware of substantial loss of business...?
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
From the picture you posted yours is the corresponding device on this page:Kindle (4th and 5th Generation)http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=ya_kindle_sb_swupdates?nodeId=200529680&tag=guidtech07-20Opening the link for: Kindle (4th and 5th Generation) shows the latest firmware as 4.1.3If your Kindle is showing your firmware as 4.1.3 that explains why the option to update the Kindle is unavailable.If you go to the critical software updates page here:http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710It shows the same thing in that the software on your device should be 4.1.3So now I need to know what happens when you try to connect the Kindle to wireless.What error messages are you receiving?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error message.
Status: Wi-Fi Networks:
Available W-Fi Networks (0)
Network: not connected
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
Are you able to do these steps on your Kindle?:Restart and restore your Kindle 5-Way Controller. This includes Kindles that are both Fourth and Fifth Generation. Navigate your Kindle to the "Menu" page. Choose "Settings," then "Menu" again. You will finally click "Restore to Factory Settings." Wait until your Kindle reboots itself.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried that - no change. The Kindle will not connect to WiFi so presumably it is unable to re-boot.
Expert:  Byron replied 1 year ago.
I have a question. Do you live in an area where you have nearby neighbors and the Kindle routinelydetects the networks of your neighbors or do you live in a rural or semi-rural area where your neighborsare not close by and the Kindle only sees the wireless network from your router?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Prior to March 22, 2016 the Kindle automatically connected to WiFi wherever it was on and located. After Mar 22 the Kindle does not connect to any WiFi and is unable to do so even after downloading, manually, the required updates. My home Internet access shows many, many other available connections. Generally, the Kindle picks up the home WiFi but since March 22 it does not connect and fails to recognise available access.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Byron
The following, for your information, sorted my problems; but thanks for trying:1. From the Home screen, select Menu and then select Settings.2. Select “turn on” next to Aeroplane Mode.When Aeroplane Mode is on, an aeroplane icon will appear at the top of your Kindle screen next to the battery indicator.02:37 PM BST John Biggs: Done that
02:37 PM BST Indrani: Let's try a factory reset of your device, which can solve intermittent problems.
02:38 PM BST Indrani: Because a factory reset will restore your Kindle to factory defaults and removes any content you've downloaded to your device.
You'll be able to download all your Amazon purchases from Cloud after registering the device again.
To factory reset your Kindle:1. From the Home screen, press Menu.2. Select Settings.3. Press Menu again and select Reset to Factory Defaults.02:40 PM BST John Biggs: Done that: Kindle is re-starting
02:40 PM BST Indrani: Once restarted please let me know.
02:41 PM BST John Biggs: It has now re-started: It is set to English (United States)
02:42 PM BST Indrani: Yes please select the language and try to connect the device to wifi and register it again.
02:44 PM BST John Biggs: Set to English (United Kingdom)....I will follow the instructions to connect to Wi-Fi
02:44 PM BST Indrani: Yes please.
Try to connect the device to wifi and register it again.
02:49 PM BST John Biggs: Now connected to wifi - will try to use an existing account
02:49 PM BST Indrani: Yes please.
02:53 PM BST Indrani: Have you registered the device?
02:54 PM BST John Biggs: Nearly there - just password ***** put in
02:55 PM BST Indrani: Yes please.
02:57 PM BST Indrani: John, have you registered?
02:58 PM BST John Biggs: Think I put the wrong password ***** try again
02:59 PM BST John Biggs: Setup Complete...Many thanks
02:59 PM BST Indrani: I've checked and see that you've succesfully registered the device.
You are most welcome.Can I be of further assistance today?03:00 PM BST John Biggs: Well done you. Appreciated. All should be okay now.
03:00 PM BST Indrani: It's my pleasure to assist a valued customer like you.After you close this chat you can answer a quick survey and provide comments about your experience. We’d love to hear your feedback.Enjoy the rest of the day!Please click the "End Chat" link to close this window
Bye!!
03:00 PM BST John Biggs: Bye
Amazon.co.uk