Russell H.
Russell H., Computer System Tech
Experience:  11 years experience
13568747

I have a Panasonic Electronic Typewriter R194 which has been

I have a Panasonic Electronic Typewriter R194 which has been stored in the loft for quite some time. My 9yr old grandson is interested in using it but when I switched it on today it is making a terrible noise. Any ideas please.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. Probably the carriage inside the typewriter is either:1. locked down for storage or transport, and thus it should not be turned on, since the motor will tug at the locked carriage repeatedly and rapidly, making a great rattling grinding noise.Cure: unlock the carriage, or remove the carriage lock. or 2. the carriage is stuck in some abnormal fashion, result being the same noise, but from a different cause.Cure: try to find out what the problem is, and remove the problem foreign object, or other item. Let me know what further advice I can give you on this matter. Thanks. (If this answers the question completely enough, please rate my answer.)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Russell Thank you for your prompt reply. I have looked for
possible obstructions but cannot see any. I can only think that there must be a lock on it but for the life of me cannot fathom out how to unlock it.Margaret
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I presume that you do not have a user's guide, nor an instruction guide, for your typewriter.I will look for one - if findable, it may answer the question of whether, and if so how, the carriage in the typewriter might be locked.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I have found the manual.Is the carriage at the far right side? if so, that is the 'shipping position'. Look for two oblong (or popsicle-stick-shaped) inserts, one to keep the carriage from changing position, the other for blocking or stopping the ribbon cassette.Remove them.Turn On the typewriter again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cannot see any popsicle shaped inserts, this is a picture of the type writer.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Can the carriage (with the ribbon cartridge on it) be moved by hand gently to the left? while the typewriter is Off and unplugged.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
When you try to move the carriage-and-ribbon assembly to the left, is the power Off? it should be. Either a jammed carriage problem, or a shipping insert jamming the carriage in place, is indicated. Perhaps another look around the carriage might reveal the jamming cause, or the shipping insert holding it in place, etc. But at present that's all I can suggest, aside from taking it to a typewriter repair shop (if such a thing can be located within reasonable driving distance. Would you be interested in that at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for all your help. If there was somewhere local to me I would be interested in having it looked at. I am from Wrexham North Wales.Many thanks Margaret