Martin
Martin, Network Engineer
Experience:  10+ Years Experience CCNA Network Engineer A+ Net+ Linux & Windows OS C++ Programming
74139101

I have a Lenovo 90DQ001SUK. How do I change the required options

I have a Lenovo 90DQ001SUK. How do I change the required options on the UEFI BIOS to boot to a legacy USB device?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hello, welcome to JustAnswer my name is ***** ***** I'm one of the experts who will be assisting you today.Try rebooting and hitting either Esc, F11, or F12 to see if you get a boot menu asking you what device you want to boot from.Sometimes it's not necessary to change it in the BIOS.Please reply using the box below.Regards,Martin
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
If you want to disable UEFI from the BIOS you need to set Operating system Optimized Defaults to disabled first
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been trying to boot and then pressing F12. I then get the following 3 options:
SATA: ST500DM002-1BD142
"Windows Boot Manager" (highlighted in white)
"Enter set Up"
None of these seem to allow me to open the USB device I am trying to use
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
If the USB isn't showing there it might not be detected.Try going into the BIOS and disable operating system optimized defaults so you can enable legacy mode
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've disabled the optimized defaults and the system started to open but then all I get now is a black screen
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Maybe because your OS is set to work with UEFI - now that you have it in legacy mode, see if you can edit the boot sequence and put the USB first.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The primary boot sequence reads:
USB FDD
USB Keys
SATA 1
SATA 2
Network 1
USB HDD
USB CD/DVD
Which one needs to be "first" and how do I achieve that?
Apologies for being thick!
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
No problem at all, you're doing great!Try USB HDD as first option.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've moved USB HDD to the first option but still getting a black screen after it initially seemed to be starting up okay
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
What does the USB contain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its an operating system from a company called ARISE they call it the arise secure desktop. It's a system for working from home. Does this make sense?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we'd have to be relying on it having been formatted and copied correctly so it's bootableTry setting USB Keys as first option and try again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Same result I'm afraid. It seems to get so far then the screen just goes black. Unfortunately, it is so fast I cannot read what it is displaying before it goes black
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It usually does that when there's nothing to boot from - I would go and make sure the USB is bootable first before doing anything else.Do you have another computer you can test it on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a very old Toshiba laptop but I can not even get the boot menu to open on that! Are you saying you think the USB stick is faulty?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Well usually when you get the black screen it means the computer can't find a bootable device, meaning it tried the USB, it failed, it tried the CD/DVD drive, it failed, the HDD won't work because you're in legacy mode and depending on the version of Windows you have installed (8, 8.1 or 10) it might require UEFI to be enabled in order to boot.If the USB is plugged in and it's skipping it, it means it's either not detecting it in which you can try a different USB port or it's been built wrong and isn't bootable as an OS.Does that make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really. Unfortunately, you are dealing with a technical idiot. I'll ask the company if they will send another stick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually, I've just managed to get the laptop to work and it has actually opened the thing! Does that make any difference?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Good work!Yes it does.Does the computer in question have a secure boot option?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Err, sorry, how do I tell?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Have a look around the BIOS and see if you can spot Secure Boot. If it's there tell me whether it's enabled or disabled
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frankly, I think I've reached the limit of my capabilities. I'm in the 'BOOT' menu and it reads: -
HDD1/SSD1
CD/DVD
FDD
LAN
Is this where you mean?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok stay in there, see if you can select the first option and change it to USB (if it's an option)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it will not let me change anything other than the order (like in the Lenovo)
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Is the USB plugged in?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
It's possible the computer isn't picking up the USB device.There's an option called Legacy USB Support - make sure that's enabled.It's usually under the Advanced tab
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, are you talking about in the Lenonvo or the old Toshiba laptop?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Lenovo
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under ADVANCED I get "CPU SET UP". Under that I get:EIST SUPPORT [DISABLED]
CORE MULTI-PROCESSING [ENABLED]
Intel (R) Virtualization Technology [Disabled]
C1E Support [Enabled]
Turbo Mode [Enabled]CPU ID 406C3
Microcode Revision 34F(06/30/2015
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just found Legacy USB Support under Devices - it is enabled
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Do you have more than one USB stick you can plug into the Lenovo?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rest of it reads:
USB Support [Enabled]
USB Legacy Support [Enabled]
USB Virtual KBC Support [Disabled]
Card reader [Enabled]
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, sorry. I do not have another USB stick
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
All your settings look fine - shut the computer down then restart it with the USB plugged in.See if you can access the boot menu like you did just before.If USB is still not listed then the computer isn't detecting the USB device from boot
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I've started it up it reads:
USB Keys
[Legacy]: Generic USB storage. - This is highlighted white. Should I simply press enter?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It displays
"Arise Secure Desktop"
With a series of moving dots underneathThen the screen goes black
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The stick itself is still lit up and flashing occasionally
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok great.That means you get to the operating system they gave you but it's having trouble loading - it's most likely the operating system is based on Linux and the main problem Linux has with computers is hardware compatibility, graphics more specifically.I would bet it's trying to load and halts because of a hardware error it's not displaying an error for.Do you think you could call them up and let them know what's happening?The solution is beyond your computer and its settings now - we got it to boot into the operating system but it fails to load.Either way, try pressing Enter or Esc while the screen is blank and see if the NumLock light goes on/off when you press it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pressed Enter and Esc - nothing happened (i.e. NumLock light didn't operate at all). When you say call THEM, who do you mean?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
ARISE, the company that sent you the USB stick.I believe they also have it on CD/DVDGive them your computer's model number so they can tell you whether it's compatible.Tell them your settings are all correct because you get to the Arise screen but then it goes blank instead of going into the logon screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that all I can do then. Am I looking at buying yet another computer?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the specifics of their software so I can't advise you on that - did the software load on the old laptop completely?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It took me to the log on page
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
So it works on the old laptop - instead of buying a new computer would it be more productive to use the laptop for that or is it too slow?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Far too slow
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ok then I advise you talk to them first to confirm the minimum requirements - maybe they have an alternate version of the software suitable for your Lenovo. Buying a new computer just for one program seems a little costly!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're telling me. I bought this Lenovo solely to use this system because of the slow laptop!
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Ahh.. what's the model? I'll look it up real quick.The number you gave me before is another number, look for "Lenovo" followed by 1 letter and 2 or 3 numbersFor example: Lenovo G560
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is how it is described in the advert "Lenovo 300S "
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
The laptop looks fine to me, it surpasses the minimum requirements by a mile.Give them a call and see if you can get some advice from them directly since only they will know how to troubleshoot the operating system itself.You've done everything you need to do on your end regarding your computer's settings, we got it to boot into the operating system only it doesn't work as it should.Here's their contact details:http://www.ariseworkfromhome.co.uk/contact-us/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's not a laptop, it's a tower/desktop. Does that make any difference?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Is it an Ideacentre?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
This one?https://www.computeruniverse.net/en/products/90617646/lenovo-ideacentre-300s-11ibr.asp
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that looks like it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is ithttp://www.very.co.uk/lenovo-300s-intelreg-celeronreg-processor-4gb-ram-500gb-hard-drive-desktop-base-unit-with-optional-1-years-subscription-to-microsoft-office-365-personal/1600055654.prd?_requestid=529822
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
Hmm in that case it might not meet the minimum requirements.It says on their website:Requirements COMPUTER HARDWAREA laptop or desktop/tower computer with a separate monitor is recommended but not required.1. 1.6 GHz Dual‐core CPU (processor) or greater2. 4 Gigabytes of RAM or greater3. 1280 x 1024 (SXGA) screen resolutionEven though your own is 1.6ghz and dual core, it's a Celeron - if you can return it I would recommend doing so as they're at the lower end of processors.What's not clear from the specs is the graphics card since it's integrated there isn't much info on that and it's most probably what's causing the problem as I suggested earlier.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you. I'll have to talk to ARISE and Lenovo
Expert:  Martin replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.Let me know how it goes and what they say about the computer in regards ***** ***** minimum requirements.If you have any doubts or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.And if you're happy with the service I'm providing so far feel free to click on one of the 5 stars above as it would be greatly appreciated!Remember you can continue replying to me until you've got all the information you need.Regards,Martin