Jess M.
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
49766785

I have a Samsung 355 laptop running Windows 7. Having problems,

Customer Question

I have a Samsung 355 laptop running Windows 7. Having problems, I ran the Samsung Media Recovery Disc. Having restored my files, I am now unable to connect to the internet via my Plus.net router.
In the Device Manager, Other Devices, the Ethernet Controller and three others are not connecting through WAN Miniport (PPPOE).
Can you help, please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric, welcome and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am glad to assist you today.I am very sorry about your issues. Are you trying to connect wirelessly? If yes, is the computer connected to the internet using wired or ethernet cable?Please let me know by replying to me here so that I can help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
MY computer operated without problems wirelessly before the System Recovery was utilised.
Since using that disc, I have tried both wireless and Ethernet cable to the router, without success. That router works satisfactorily with this PC and my tablet.
In Device Manager - Other Devices, all four devices are not installed. I have not been able to enable installation of the required drivers; available sites offer WAN Miniport (PPPOE) drivers for download - which of course requires internet access. Catch 22!!!
The PC I am presently using has a different driver to the one mentioned.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Thank you for writing back with that information. First, since your laptop has no connection to the internet through ethernet cable or wireless, you need to download the necessary drivers for your network components using another computer, save the downloaded files in a USB flash drive, then copy them to the problem computer and install those drivers.Here is the link:http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP355V5C-S01UKIn that web page, scroll down and click on Downloads and Manuals tab, then scroll further down, under Chipsets and VGA(Graphics, click the View More link. There you shall see the download links for the LAN and Wireless LAN. The Wireless LAN has several versions depending on the chip manufacturer, just download all of them. When you install, only the correct version will succeed in the installation since others will just show an error that no compatible device is found on the system thus the installation will terminate.After installing the correct and compatible drivers from the steps I gave you above, please test if your wifi and ethernet LAN connection works this time. Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed your suggestion and installed 'Realtek PCk GBE Family Controller' with two Bluetooth programs. Referring to Windows7 - Device Manager - Other Devices', two devices are flagged. They are 'Network Controller' and 'SM Bus Controller'; right-clicking on each device, tab 'driver', the notification 'no driver require' shows.The router still fails to connect.I have now discovered how to send you a reply, sorry!!!Regards, Eric.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Thank you for writing back with that information. Can you please describe to me what you see on your Device Manager? Are there items there with notification marks like a yellow exclamation marks or a yellow question mark?Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
I should say it was an exclamation mark rather than a question mark. Just on those two devices.Regards, Eric
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric, please do the following:Open your Device ManagerLocate the items listed with the exclamation markClick on it to select it. Then click on the icon at the top with the red X, that is to Uninstall it.Then in the prompt that opens, click on checkbox to "Delete the driver" of the selected itemClick OK to proceedDo these steps with the 2 items with exclamation marks.Then restart your computer and allow it to reload or reinstall the needed drivers.Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,Having carried out those operations,'Other Devices' has gone from the Device Manager; the 'Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller' is in 'Network Adapters' and stated to be working properly.I have restarted the laptop twice without making.the router connection.Eric.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Can you please confirm if in your Device Manager, there is no item listed with the yellow exclamation marks?What is the name of the wireless adapter listed there?If you are connecting through ethernet LAN cable, please do the following:Right click on the LAN icon in the system trySelect Troubleshoot problemsFollow the on screen procedures to troubleshoot the LAN problem and let me know your results.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
The machine could not be restarted other than by 'System Restore', to the installation of the Realtek Controller. Opening 'Device Manager' flagged (exclamation marks) three 'Other Devices' i.e. 'Network Controller', 'SM Bus Controller' and 'USB2.0-CRW'. All noted that 'device was not successfully installed'. I then deleted from the Programs, all of the downloaded items from the Samsung website, leaving only the Realtek Controller installed and working properly.I had connected the Ethernet cable at the start of proceedings and tried to connect to the router on completion of each stage, without success.Eric.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Thank you for writing back. If the Network Controller has no exclamation marks in Device Manager, it means it is working. So the possible fault this time is the network configuration.Have you tried to run the network troubleshooting using the procedures I gave you yesterday?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jesse. See last message, network controller is one of the three other devices flagged. Yes, tried troubleshooter, which could not identify problem. Eric
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Let us do this one at a time. The goal is to install the drivers first. Please download and install the Chipset drivers from this direct link:http://org.downloadcenter.samsung.com/downloadfile/ContentsFile.aspx?CDSite=UNI_UK&CttFileID=5289023&CDCttType=DR&ModelType=N&ModelName=NP355V5C&VPath=DR/201210/20121022130058781/Chipset_1.0.0.72.ZIPPlease tell me if the install is successful. If it is, please check if the flagged items in Device Manager is affected or not. That is, if one of the flagged items is no longer flagged.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,I have downloaded the two files as suggested and entered them into the laptop, where they appear on the Local Disk. on the the Local Disk. Then I copied and pasted the file 'Chipset 1.0.0.72.ZIP.part into the file Chipset_1.0.0.72. I restarted the machine and returned to Device Manager, where the same three Other Devices are still flagged. Next, I moved the two Chipset files to Program Files. The Compressed .ZIP.part file now shows 86084 MB under the Properties tab the Chipset_1.0.0.72 Compressed (zipped) folder 86025 MB. I have restarted the machine, the Device Manager continues to flag to flag the three Other Devices.
Whilst still not making a connection to the router, error 651, there is much flashing of Ethernet and Internet lights on the router although the other two connected devices are idle. The laptop has a notification 'trying to install device drivers', concluding with 'device driver software not successfully installed'. On clicking for the details, there is no response.Eric.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Are you saying that you manually move the download files to Program Files? If yes, then please refrain from doing that, that is not a good practice. Only the installer will write necessary files in that folder.Also, you mentioned files with extension .part, it means they are unfinished downloads. The correct file shall be .ZIP and you need to extract the contents of the ZIP file to be able to run the installer. That is, when you extract the contents of the ZIP file, one of them shall be an application file that you can run to install it.Keep me posted.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Chipset was downloaded from. PC to flashdrive for transfer to laptop, so how should I do that then? Having router problem two days, pursuing with plusnet, not connecting with DNS server. Difficult for me to access internet. Would update to Windows 10 solve laptop problems?
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
No, I do not recommend upgrading to Windows 10 at the moment.You mentioned that it is difficult for you to access internet. Are you saying that you were already able to access the internet on the problem laptop?Regarding the chipset drivers, please copy the ZIP file to the problem laptop. Extract the contents of the ZIP drive and then run the installer (usually called Setup) to install the chipset drivers.Keep me posted with your results so that I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there was no access to internet on the laptop, only on PC and tablet, they are both down now, that creates my internet access problem as nothing will now connect. I shall try again with the chipset as you suggest, and get back to plusnet.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, please take your time. If you are getting any error in the process, please let me know as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,My present situation is, my PC is connected to the internet, the tablet is not. On the laptop, in 'Device Manager', the Network Controller is still flagged. In spite of several attempts to uninstall it, it keeps returning. I deleted the program files 'Chipset...' and from a new download to the flashdrive, I copied/pasted the .ZIP file into the laptop program files. It ran differently to my first attempt. On clicking setup, a new file 'Catalyst' began into a new folder, 'AMD'. The installation being completed, I restarted the laptop; the 'Norton Security' package then ran successfully through 'Live Update', which it had been unable to do. Although the 'Netork Connectivity' displays all green ticks, I have been unable to access any websites, the connection continuing to fail, 'error 651'. Sorry about the delay in replying, the pc does not work very quickly in comparison to the other two machines. Having just attempted to shut down the laptop, it is busy installing 108 updates. I wonder what that might do for me.Eric.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Thank you for writing back with that information. Wow! What a relief! The mere fact that the laptop is now installing updates indicates that the internet is working this time! It is now able to detect updates from the Microsoft site and install them.Please take your time and allow the installation of the updates to complete. Your inability to access websites before could be attributed to a browser issue. You can download and install another web browser like Chrome or Firefox and then use it to browse the internet.Please let me know your results so that I can assist you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Microsoft updates all installed; I have restarted the laptop several times and there do not appear to be any more forthcoming. The machine appears to access Microsoft and Norton,and has performed Norton LiveUpdate on both PC and laptop, run a quick scan and full system scan this morning on the PC and is presently running a full system scan on the laptop. When the scan has completed, I shall restart the machine. The laptop now has a new problem in that the # ***** is typing a \, which affects some of my login passwords and the notification is that the Network Controller is not installed. The machine is searching for 'update driver software' without success, but it cannot be cancelled without shutting down the laptop, On restarting, I shall try to install Firefox, my usual browser, but I do have doubts about accessing the wider internet.Eric.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Since the laptop was able to update, then it means that it is connected to the internet. It could be through a wireless connection or ethernet connection. The errors that you are getting could be due to other things but your laptop shall be online (connected to the internet). And regarding that UPDATE issue that cannot be canceled unless it is shut down, I doubt that it is a driver or Windows update.If the laptop is indeed connected to the internet, then I suggest that we do a Secure Remote Assistance so that I can check the problems in your laptop and fix them while you watch.Keep me posted.Jess
Jess M., Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Hardware & Software Specialist - 10yrs Exp, Web Designer & Developer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,I have copied the Mozilla program from the PC to the laptop, which I am using now. I am unclear as to whether our conversation is now terminated, your guidance would be welcome. There are now other keys not working incorrectly; I have to do some tidying up as some sites will not accept pasted passwords. However, it seems that, subject to trying a wider range of websites, Mozilla may have done the trick; if so, I am obliged to you for your guidance and your patience. I am no expert, though I have learned a few things from this exercise, thank you.Eric.
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Eric,Thank you for writing back and I am glad that Mozilla Firefox is working fine. Regarding the keyboard issues, please make sure that NUMLOCK is OFF. Try typing the keys and see if they work this time.If the problem continues, then the problem could be with your keyboard layout settings. Make sure you set it to English US or English UK.Please refer to this link:https://support.microsoft.com/en-ph/kb/258824Thank you.Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
I have followed your suggestions and the keyboard is now under control, thank you. I have been having problems with the router, which I hope will be resolved on receipt of the new one which is on its' way. Hopefully it will enable wireless connection to the internet, which with the tablet is necessary and the laptop preferred.Eric
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome Eric. It is good to know that your ISP is changing your router. If you need further assistance, just let me know. I will be happy to help you further.Best regards,Jess
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jess,
Everything seems to be working now, thank you, ***** ***** a new router by the end of the week to see if the wireless machines will connect. Thanks for all your help, I had intended to rate you five stars but inadvertently appear to have hit four. It does not seem possible to change it now, I have tried.
Eric
Expert:  Jess M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Thank you for writing back and thank you very much for your patience as well. Regarding the rating (thank you), 3 to 5 stars are positive ratings so your rating is very good -- thank you. Yes, you cannot change it since it is already a positive rating, but do not worry, I am so happy since you rated me positively.Best regards,Jess