Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I updated to Windows 10 but was unable to run Microsoft 'My Money'. I went back

Customer Question

I updated to Windows 10 but was unable to run Microsoft 'My Money'. I went back to Windows 7, but I can't find the last year's worth of data, and it will not save anything new. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
Hi, When you went back to Windows 7, what process did you use?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went into settings and recovery.
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
Okay, so you used the restore option and did not use a factory CD; is that right?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yes
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
If you try to open My Money -- do you get any error messages?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
Which year of Microsoft Money is it?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1999 I think
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
Click on the Start button In the search box, type: *.m07 Do you see any files listed?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no. Just found out that its MM 2002
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
Okay, that changes the search. Click on the Start button In the search box, type: *.m10
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No results
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
Where did you save the previous Money files?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They've gone into My Money files, but it appears that anything saved since they were migrated onto this new computer (Nov 2014) have disappeared
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
What error message do you receive when you try to save something new?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No error messages - everything seems to be as normal except the most up to date files are Nov 2014, and I cannot save anything new into them
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
What happens when you try to save anything new to them?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't save. If I close it down with new data, it reopens as if I've done nothing to it...
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
Did it work fine before the upgrade to Windows 10?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oh yes. It appears to have saved some of the more up to date data, but not all - could it have become corrupted?
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
That is possible - Try opening the file and saving data to it now.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I've already tried that, and it isn't saving data - that's the problem
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
I understand but you mentioned that it recently saved data. Is it only saving random data?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry, it hasn't saved anything new since I uninstalled Windows 10. But it has saved new data since Nov 14, just not all.
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
If you open a new file and save data to the new file. Does it save there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not sure how to save into a new Money file. I'll give it a go..
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tried to save into a new file but it just took me into a brand new file. However, the old file had saved the data, which it didn't do earlier, not sure what's happening. Well, it wouldn't save any reconciling or balancing of the account.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm afraid I need to go. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Josh replied 11 months ago.
You're very welcome. It sounds like the file is corrupt since it is saving then not saving properly. If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.