Josh
Josh, Computer Enthusiast
Experience:  Expert for over 10 years
50836188

I updated to Windows 10 but was unable to run Microsoft 'My Money'. I went back

Customer Question

I updated to Windows 10 but was unable to run Microsoft 'My Money'. I went back to Windows 7, but I can't find the last year's worth of data, and it will not save anything new. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Hi, When you went back to Windows 7, what process did you use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I went into settings and recovery.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Okay, so you used the restore option and did not use a factory CD; is that right?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
If you try to open My Money -- do you get any error messages?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Which year of Microsoft Money is it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1999 I think
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Click on the Start button In the search box, type: *.m07 Do you see any files listed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no. Just found out that its MM 2002
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Okay, that changes the search. Click on the Start button In the search box, type: *.m10
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No results
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Where did you save the previous Money files?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They've gone into My Money files, but it appears that anything saved since they were migrated onto this new computer (Nov 2014) have disappeared
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
What error message do you receive when you try to save something new?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No error messages - everything seems to be as normal except the most up to date files are Nov 2014, and I cannot save anything new into them
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
What happens when you try to save anything new to them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't save. If I close it down with new data, it reopens as if I've done nothing to it...
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
Did it work fine before the upgrade to Windows 10?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh yes. It appears to have saved some of the more up to date data, but not all - could it have become corrupted?
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
That is possible - Try opening the file and saving data to it now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've already tried that, and it isn't saving data - that's the problem
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
I understand but you mentioned that it recently saved data. Is it only saving random data?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, it hasn't saved anything new since I uninstalled Windows 10. But it has saved new data since Nov 14, just not all.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
If you open a new file and save data to the new file. Does it save there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how to save into a new Money file. I'll give it a go..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried to save into a new file but it just took me into a brand new file. However, the old file had saved the data, which it didn't do earlier, not sure what's happening. Well, it wouldn't save any reconciling or balancing of the account.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid I need to go. Thanks for trying.
Expert:  Josh replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome. It sounds like the file is corrupt since it is saving then not saving properly. If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as EXCELLENT, GOOD, or OK and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.