Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have just reinstall xp on my desktop computer. And it's connection

Customer Question

I have just reinstall xp on my desktop computer. And it's connection to my sky hub. Is with a cable. On clicking on Explorer the only page it will bring up is MSN. And each time I do a search for anything it says it cannot be displayed. I have changed the home page in Internet properties, to sky.com but with the same result.?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Hi there and welcomePlease do the following in Internet ExplorerClick Tools (the gear wheel top right) than Internet OptionsClick on the General Tab and Delete all Temporary Internet Files.Than click the Advance Tab and click ResetThen restart the computer and tell me if it then connects please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No still the same. I have tried to access Google from the initial page brought up by clicking on the Explorer icon. It gives me a list of options connected to Google, but if you click on any of these I still says page cannot be displayed
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
whats the make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It one I had built for me, by a friend who owned his own pc shop. It was built for gaming and Internet. Sadly my friend died 2 years ago
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry to hear about thatThe problem is you need the driver for the network card.download this programhttp://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.75-en.exeInstall it, run it and tell me what motherboard you have please
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
it will tell you
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
remember, you will need to copy it over to the problem computer via a memory stick or similar
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Mother board model K7S42GX, Chipset sis 741GX
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
perfect, here is the driverftp://europe.asrock.com/Drivers/SiS/LAN/LAN_XP_2K_ME_98(1.16b).zipCopy it to the computer and open the zip file and run the installation please to installThen restart and it should then have internetLet me know the results please
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I have loaded zip file opened it clicked setup. The box came up saying it was changing my Internet settings. I clicked ok. But still the problem is the same
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
you ran the installation? And then restarted the computer?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Each time I restarted the pc, I get an option to go into repair windows or start windows
If I just restart windows I'm still getting the same problem. If I go to repair I'm getting a message on the recovery console asking me which installation would I like to log on to? As far as I am concerned I have only one
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, but is windows actually starting?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
how did you install windows xp? From an authentic disk?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. I bought it from pc world a few years ago but have never had this problem before. And I have reinstalled it more than 3 times
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, is pointing to a hardware issue.But click start, right click my computer and select manageClick on device managerLook under network and tell me whats listed there please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
SIS 900-based PCI fast ethernet adapter
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Alway through the manager I see on conflicts
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
what conflicts does it say?And does it have a ! or X next to it?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No conflicts no X or!
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
click start, run and type incmdpress enterin the black window that opens, type inping yahoo.compress enterare the packets received or lost?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
4 were sent 4 were received 0 lost
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, means it does have internet so a program problem.Type theresfc /scannowPress enterTell me when the scan has completed please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I now have a window which say. Windows file protection. In that box it says that files that are required for Windows to run must be copied to the dll cache. Insert xp cd rom
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, please insert the disk
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok. it's now put me onto the what do you want to do screen for install of windows or install optional components, preform additional task, check compatibility
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
close the window and let the scan complete.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Scan complete. Gone back to promote screen
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, now restart and tell me if you have internet please.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Windows is stuck on saying it is shutting down shall I just turn off manually?
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
yes please
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you remove the battery please then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.Wait 5 minutes, put the battery back in and try to turn it on.Tell me please if it now starts and functions correctlyThank you
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still no Internet
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
does it still ask to repair when starting?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes it does
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
ok, this is part of the issue.When you installed windows, did you do a format of the hard drive first?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes. I fdisk to delete any partitions there was and formatted at same time
Expert:  Richard replied 8 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** hardware issue and as the network card is not working properly, and you have done a reinstall and still it repairs each time and will not install with the drivers, then it points to the motherboard as being at fault. It is the only cause left I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you