Viet - Computer Tech
Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
30037186

Wrong device shown in settings and content is not downloading

Wrong device shown in settings and content is not downloading as 3.4.2 update not recognised only Cloud Reader.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.Wrong device shown in the settings can you please explain the problem a bit more in detail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
What is the kindle model you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serial number is ***** A0A0 1123 02MJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Kindle 3.4.2
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Is it s kindle paperwhite or a kindle fire?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It predates both I think.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
not a problem can you tell me when did you purchased it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does about 12 years ago sound right?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
1st Gen Kindle paperwhite. Wrong device shown in the settings can you please explain the problem a bit more in detail.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I go to settings, the icon in the top left side says that I have a Kindle Cloud Reader and the drop box to choose my device only has Cloud Reader as the only option and I couldn't find my device pictured on at the bottom of the screen. I don't know what generation it is and 1st generation isn't shown.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry but i need to be sure about the model which kindle device you have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where do I find this out!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is just called an amazonkindle.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
https://d.gr-assets.com/ereaders/1269036621p8/2.jpg
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
is this the one you have please click on the link.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Very similar but the menu/back and direction button is on the bottom right next to the keyboard, not along the sides.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Home button is underneath sym and carriage return buttons
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
Unplug the charger if its on it.Push and hold down the power button for 40 seconds on the kindle it will shut down. Wait for 3 mins and power it back on and try to run the update manually.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I run the update from within amazon or on the device?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
The update software has to be downloaded to a computer and then you connect the Kindle to the computer to update it.Determine the current software version on your Kindle before downloading and installing a software update. For more information, go to Determine Your Software Version.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry but I cannot find the right update. There's no mention of 1st generation kindles and also the settings show that I have Kindle 3.4.2 as I have said before.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
From Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings. You will see the current software version at the bottom of the screen.If you have the latest update, it should look like this: Version: Kindle 2.5.8 (555370010).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I have said before, it looks like Kindle 3.4.2 (268720004). I seem to be going round in circles.I may have previously downloaded the wrong update before contacting you and it just updated automatically.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 year ago.
i will open the question to other experts for there views and input. You will get an email notification when an expert replies.
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I'm sorry about the issue. I'm another tech; I will help you with your Kindle Keyboard ereader device.- Can you press and hold (or slide and hold) the power on / off button / switch on the kindle for about 45 seconds, then turn it back on, then from the Home screen, press the Menu button. Then select Settings, and then select view next to Wi-Fi Settings. Then select / connect to your wi-fi / wireless network name, and check.Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you.
Experience: Ten years of computer software and hardware support; Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP & Mac.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now manually downloaded all the updates for the B00A series.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a run time error prompt.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't send private contact info
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now carried out your instructions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What private contact information do you require?
I'm sorry, so you've downloaded all the updates athttps://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200529700; (for Kindle Keyboard 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - Europe; Your serial number starts with "B00A"), and you've used the video instruction below for updating athttps://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201994710#GUID-87EF466F-452A-4015-A753-FE062B233316- After updating, now, when you do this: From Home, press the Menu button, and then select Settings, then it shows you Version is 3.4.2; that is the latest. But your kindle is still not working right?- Please try:1. Press Menu button.2. Select Settings. 3. Press Menu button again.4. Select Reset to Factory Defaults and confirm.5. This may take a few minutes, then follow the on-screen instructions to set up your kindle again and check.- Also, you can click on the website below for video instructions:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUtEcNWvRr0Please let me know if there is still any issue. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why is your email not showing in this conversation? I receive emails on a different device which will not load up the links given in the email.
On the device you want, open the email message from JustAnswer / Viet, then click on the "View Answer" (or View Response") in it in order to see this page. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not receiving your answers on this page. In answer to your email - yes I did download all the previous updates because 1st generation Kindle did not appear to have an update.
Can you try this:1. Press Menu button.2. Select Settings.3. Press Menu button again.4. Select Reset to Factory Defaults and confirm.5. This may take a few minutes, then follow the on-screen instructions to set up your kindle again and check.Please let me know. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Viet - that worked but my archives are not in the cloud. Will take it up with Amazon.
You're welcome. You can also click on the Amazon website below:http://www.amazon.co.uk/manageyourkindle, then there, sign in your amazon account if prompted, then see if your books are there; you can click on the Action option / button in front of each book you want, then click on the Deliver option, then select your kindle device, then click on Deliver.- If needed, you can click on the website below to contact Amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/contact-us/general-questions.html?skip=true, there, click on Digital Services, then select issue, My Kindle Books, then select issue details Purchased content didn't download, then scroll down, then select the option Phone or Chat there.If you need anything else, please let me know any time. Thank you for your patience.