John
John, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I have been in the IT field for the past 8 years. I also worked as a system admin for a construction company for 3 years.
50152684

Microsoft 10 has been installed on my computer today. Two problems:

Microsoft 10 has been installed on my computer today. Two problems: the Edge web browser doesn't work (but thank goodness Google Chrome does); more importantly, I can no longer scan on my printer; the scanner short cut will simply not work although the printer itself is working and I am printing emails and attachments etc. Can you help?
Category: Computer
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** will be assisting you today. I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you.Could you please let me know the make and model of the Printer? Sincerely,JohnNote: - Please reply using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Canon MX535
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Did you install the printer software after you upgraded to windows 10 or did it detect the printer automatically ?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sir please answer my above question so that i can help you better.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The upgrade did not happen by my volition. I turned on the computer this morning, found a completely different screen to my usual one, could not get around it so entered my password ***** Windows 10 started to load. I have been receiving messages for weeks asking if I wanted to upgrade and I have consistently declined. My sister used the computer yesterday so I can only assume the message appeared again and she inadvertently clicked "install". The result is I have a Windows programme I don't want which has caused the problems I have just mentioned. The short answer to your question is that I wouldn't know how to install printer software.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I understand the situation.May I remote access to your PC and check the issue you are facing directly. It’s secure and also you can see what all I am doing in the PC. Let me know so that I can give you the link to do that.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry John, but I am not going to give a complete stranger access to my computer.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I can understand,the reason why i offered remote support is that it is easy to troubleshoot and fix the issue also you can see what all i am doing.We have been online for the past 10 years and we have A+ rating from Better Business Bureau which you can check using this link http://ww2.justanswer.com/about-usI can give you the link to download and install the printer software but before that you need to remove the software.Do you know how to do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't. I did look online for guidance and it talked about booting into Windows 10 Technical Preview but I wasn't able to find it.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OK then we will try to re-install directly.Please click on this link to download and install the all in one printer software : - http://www.canon-europe.com/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_mx_series/pixma_mx535.aspx?type=download&softwaredetailid=tcm:13-1144250#disclaimerIn that page click on Download then click to accept and download.That will start the downloading once its downloaded,install it.Let me know once its installed completely.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Is it still downloading or did it started to install ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi John - the instructions are telling me to press the WPS button of the access point but I have no idea where that is. It is not marked on my printer.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
The WPS is on the wireless modem you have in your homeHow far is the system from printer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
about 2 feet; there is a WPS om my O2 modem but no button that i can see
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry - found a button on the side with wps on it
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Try that and see if it works otherwise you need to connect the USB cable to connect to the printer?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sir did you successfully connect computer with the printer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John - my connection with you was interrupted yesterday so thanks for getting back to me.p Printer and scanner working. However, shortcut to scanner still not working. I have to go to devices etc which is a bit time-consuming. Also, Edge is still not working.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the update.Have you tried scanning using the cannon software which you installed,if not go to start then click on programs from that look for cannon programs and check it.Let me knowSincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John - as I mentioned in my earlier message, I can scan. I just can't seem to create a one-click shortcut to use the scanner.
What about my problems with Edge?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay our site have been experiencing some technical issues.I know you cannot open it using the shortcut in desktop,If you can open it from the scanning program in cannon you can create a new shortcut to desktop and use that for easy scanning.Have you checked whether you can scan using the cannon software in programs list in start menu which you installed installed?First we will clear the issues with scanning once that is sorted out we can move to Edge issue.To be honest the edge issue can be difficult to solve but we can try once this scanning issue is solved.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You may have realised by now that I am not particularly "Tech savvy" so I don't understand what you mean by the term "open it from the scanning program in cannon". I do not even know if that program has loaded as it was more complicated than you made it sound. I can scan by following the following steps: I go to "settings"; then to "devices" then scroll down to "devices & Printers" I click on the printer image and wait for the next page to load, then I click on "scanner management". If the Edge issue is more complicated then what the hell are Microsoft doing punting out this rubbish that causes simple users like me to waste time and energy (and money). Maybe a class action against Microsft will wake them up! Rant over. Let's try to sort these issues.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
In that case it is better i remote access to your PC and check it directly and show you how to open scan program easily also i can check edge issue directly too.Otherwise this chat conversation will take a long time by doing step by step instructions.Let me know if you are willing for remote support.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Against my better judgement, let's get on with it. I will click on securely connect. How long will it take as I have to go out in 15 minutes.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
It can take more than 15 min so we can do it once you are back also i want you to online when i am in your computer.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
When will you be back online ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not till this evening. i am in no rush.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
OK let me know when you are online.Sincerely,John
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Sir checking to see whether you still need my help.Please let me know.Sincerely,JohnNote:-To reply back to me use the reply box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do but am going out. I will be aroundbtomorrow evening.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
No problem,Let me know when you are ready to continue tomorrow.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John - I am at m,y computer now.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I apologize for the delay.Here is some power failure issues going on.May i sent you the remote support link.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
It seems like you are offline so we will try to do remote support tomorrow.Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi John - now the scanner is no longer working. Are you around now?
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am online now.Did you make any changes to the printer and scanner software?Sincerely,John
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I had. AS I told you before, the scanner was working, albeit not through the shortcut. Now it's not working at all.It's now tellimng me I need a WIA driver - whatever that is.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
May i remote access to your PC now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just clicked on secure connect
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
One moment please
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Please click on this link http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=3a3d6be1-985b-4fff-b47b-8ced1ef29932# that will open remote desktop session page in that page click on I Agree, then you will get Elisnore Screen Connect Client download and run it. If it asks for User Account Control click on Yes that will allow me to connect once I am connected to your PC I will post a message using the remote chat screen. If you have any trouble connecting please let me know. Do not close this Chat/Q&A page.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I haven't got the connection yet,Is there any problem ?