Richard, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Over 15 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I am having problems with my Sony CD player model number HCD-FX250

I am having problems with my Sony CD player model number HCD-FX250 in that when I play a CD, it keeps stopping for a couple of seconds then starting again. I know that it is the CD player that is the problem rather than the CDs as this happens with any CD I play, even new ones, and they play OK in my car CD player. Can you advise what the problem might be please? The CD player is about 3-4 years old, does it need replacing?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished. Can you please remove the power to the player (so unplug it from the power socket). Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the player, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Unfortunately this only resolved the problem for a short period. After unplugging the CD player at the mains for 10 minutes then replugging it, I played a CD without a problem. However, I then played another CD about half an hour later and after about 3 tracks the problem started again. I unplugged again for about half an hour then replugged and played the CD again but after about 4-5 tracks it started sticking again. When the sound freezes I can hear the CD whirring in the machine for about 2 seconds before the music starts again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksThe other cause for this can be a dirty lens on the unit.Use a cd cleaner such as this onehttps://www.amazon.co.uk/HQ-CD-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B001NXK7DSRun a clean on it and then try to play a CD.If you still get an issue Richard, then you know the Lens has faulted and this would need to be replaced.It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I've ordered some cleaner as you suggested.