technicalcat
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience:  20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
65369237

I cannot send or receive email on my outlook account ([email protected]

I cannot send or receive email on my outlook account (*****@******.***). The screen says server Error 3204 and Error ID0x8DE20003.
David Nicholls
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my other email address is***@******.***. My iPad also will not accept the outlook address and refuses my password
Expert:  technicalcat replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thank you for using this service. Are you logging in to your email account using a web browser such as internet explorer, firefox, or chrome? If not, are you using the program called "OUTLOOK"?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In my Control Panel I have:
Mail (Microsoft Outlook 2016) (32-bit)
this was set up by a friend when my btinternet. com address wasn`t working too well but I have kept that as a back-up
OK, but are you using that program? If possible, please tell me the exact steps you take to check your email. What you click on, and so on. Take it from when the computer is off, and you are just turning it on. Thanks.
technicalcat, Consultant
Experience: 20 years combined corporate and small business experience.
Please click on the link below, and download, and install, and run the program. After it is running, I will connect to your computer within a few minutes, and work on your problems. If you don't see me connect for more than 5 minutes, please come back to this chat for a status update. Thank You. http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=385f4565-d7a7-4ed6-bcc8-bae56cc01828
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see that the downloading of the list of folders available on the server is still continuing under the heading "Downloading Folders from Outlook (davnich) (2)".As it states that "this may take a few minutes if you have a slow connection" and it has taken an hour and a half (and my connection is not particularly slow) what should I do?
OK. Thanks for the response.As I was saying over the remote connection, you appear to have a somewhat common corruption with your windows live mail.Live mail is the "free" mail client that is bundled with Windows. It is kind of notorious for problems like this, and it's why many home email users opt for the easier web clients (the one you login to with internet explorer). In any case, I wouldn't recommend using WLM. Like it's predecessor , Outlook Express, it's just a problematic application. So, what I'd like to ask you is if you are really needing to use a mail client like WLM as opposed to just logging in with the web client? If not, the web client will make life a lot easier, and relieve you of problems like this. If you insist on using WLM, I can send you instruction to remove and reinstall, although it can be quite involved.Another issue to consider if you want to use a mail client, would be to move to one that is much better than WLM. This would be Outlook. Outlook is not free, but it's much better and safer to use for your emails , as you build up a larger and larger inbox. Again, outlook or wlm is usually NOT necessary for home type emails, and such clients are usually more suited to business email systems.So, with that being said, just let me know what you need. thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Needless to say the documents have been "loading" all night so I have aborted that process.
I don`t fully understand your comments. I originally had the btinternet address but to this was added the outlook address by a local one-man firm- the friend I referred to before. He is extremely good and so far the outlook address has proved OK and I`ve never had to pay for it. I kept on the btinternet address for back up and this costs a nominal monthly fee (£1.60 pm but rising to £5 this month).
The btinternet address still works (though not on my iPad) and I have had 5 or 6 messages this morning Also I got a new mobile last week and that has a default address of***@******.***
As far as your question is concerned I just want the simplest solution. I`m not sure what the difference between a mail clent and a web client is. If you can set me up with something suitable (though I thought that outlook was) then please do so.
Alternatively I could revert to btinternet and tell all my contacts to use that, and as I`m already paying for that and it works, that may be the best solution. I could perhaps transfer to gmail so that I don`t have to adapt my new phone.
Could I ask you please to suggest a solution which suits the circumstances of a techno-ignoramus like me. I don`t really want to pay another charge.
Sorry for the confusion. Based on what you are saying, I think you should use just one email. The btinternet would be fine, and even though I don't know the details of that service, it almost undoubtedly has a web client. Meaning you can almost certainly login , and access your mail using any browser such as internet explorer. There is probably also an app you can download from bt to access the mail on your phone. To make it simple, you really do not have to use a desktop mail client program llke WLM or outlook for just about any email nowadays. These mail clients are kind of outdated by today's standards, because for home users, virtually all email providers provide easy to use and full featured mail clients available right in a browser. You were already accessing your outlook mail that way, and can do the same with your bt. Regarding the gmail, if you have an android phone, a google account is sort of at the "root" of your phone. (does NOT apply for an apple iphone). So, with this you could start to use your gmail as your "main" email account, but you do not have to. You could simply use your gmail account with your phone, but not bother with the gmail part of the account. It's really up to you, but in the end , it's best to have as few active email accounts as possible, and also if possible, don't bother with antiquated email client programs like WLM or outlook, unless it's really necessary, and in your case it almost certainly is not. Hope that clears things up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. As a back up, my local guy is coming in to see me early next week to finalise things for me so I`ll hold off emailing all my contacts via the btinternet address to revert to that from outlook.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please unsubscribe me from membership. Your help the other day was much appreciated and your guy worked hard over an extended period but, as I said, my local guy came in this afternoon and got my outlook address up and running again in about 20 minutes. He said though that the that Microsoft are discouraging its use and will discontinue it after the end of July or August. Hopefully though he thinks he has found a short cut round that problem. He was on holiday when I contacted you. I shall use him again on PC and email matters and I don`t anticipate needing advice on the other topics you offer so please don`t charge me with any anything. Thanks.